Suggestions wanted for making a "stone" plinth

I want to make a small plinth for a large stone lion. The base of the lion (which probably weighs 150-200kg) is about 1250mm x 420mm and I want to make a plinth that's about 300mm high. This thing will sit on the lawn so I'll need to lay a small slab, but the question is how to make the plinth.

Ideas so far for building a rectangular plinth are:

1 - using cast stone blocks to make a hollow structure (supplier?) 2 - using regular building blocks and then rendering them (is rendering straightforward?) 3 - modifying something else that's the right shape and size (but what is there?) 4 - casting a solid concrete pillar (lots of concrete; difficult to dispose of when we move house, finish of outer surface without using a vibrator?) 5 - casting a hollow concrete pillar (awkward shuttering, finish of outer surface without using a vibrator?) 6 - using paving slabs on edge (needs an internal structure to keep them secure)

Currently I'm favouring #6, with some internal concrete webs to give support, but I'd value any and all comments and suggestions.

(The final finish will be a wash of diluted black masonry paint to give an "antique stone" effect, so the underlying colour is not too important, it just needs to be light grey or white.)

Reply to
nospam

All depends on how much work you want to do. You will need to excavate down to hard subsoil. For a hollow structure, use expanded polystyrene/other foam to make the void(s). Paving slabs on edge is a very bad idea.

Reply to
harry

You may already have a vibrator - an electric sheet sander run over the outside of the shuttering

7) See your local undertaker/stone mason to see if they have something suitable
Reply to
alan_m

Two excellent thoughts. Thanks!

Reply to
nospam

Medium density blocks, rendered, topped with good quality cast concrete slabs. Obviously you will need to support the joints too. Actually you might get away with lightweight blocks.

Reply to
newshound

That weight over that area means its not that heavy - so a fairly light weight construction would do.

I think I would make a thin slab base (paving slabs or concrete). Then build the basic shape in light weight blocks. Make a mould of the side profile (complete with cornice and whatever other details you want). Then cast that with either plaster of Paris, or lay up fibreglass matt and resin. Turn out a few of those, mitre them at the corners and clad your block base. Finish with some plain slabs on top.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hmm, I hadn't thought of casting cladding panels, which I think is what you're suggesting. I haven't done anything like that before - would PofP be robust enough for a mould? Would the casting material be sharp sand and cement? The lion is on a base (like these

so I don't think I need the slabs on top.

Reply to
nospam

Aren't lightweight blocks porous? If so I'd be worried about them surviving a few freeze/thaws.

Reply to
nospam

You could use either for the mould, but could also cast the panels themselves from the same materials if you wanted. Failing that fine concrete (say cement and sharp sand) would also work.

Reply to
John Rumm