Suggestions to replace garage door

our garage has a set of "round the corner" doors. 5 leaves of 28" wide, split into 3x and 2x. They're wooden, and not in very good nick.

When the garage was being used infrequently, I could live with it, but currently the Mrs mobility scooter is there. Not a problem when she was well, but the current relapse is dragging on, so it's getting used quite heavily, with the attendant wear on the doors.

Assuming that replacement leaves are unavailable, or too costly, can anyone suggest a type/make of garage door to replace ? The snag could be the headroom, which is only 194cm (sorry for mixing units). This pretty much rules out a standard Garadoor up & over type.

Would it be possible to fit a roller door over, such that the housing goes *above* the door space? It would need to be weatherproof, as it would be outside the garage. The runners could go on the outside brickwork the existing door recesses into.

The width is 5x28" = 140" (11' 8") ...

thanks

Reply to
Jethro

Walking through my housing estate last night, I noticed that someone in the next road had had a roller door fitted. The 'box' that accepts the rolled up door was on the outside and above the door opening - so that may be your best bet. Obviously, anything like this that is designed to fit externally, will also be designed to be weatherproof.

Reply to
Ret.

You can get an insulated alloy door which is powered, takes up about

9"x9" of headroom and can be mounted inside or outside the door. Outside would mean it would need a cover panel to protect it from the elements. My 7' high by 6' wide cost me around £450 if ordered and collected for DIY install and came with 2x remotes, plus a manual handle to crank it during power failure.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ret. formulated on Monday :

The box makes the motor weatherproof, but mounted externally it does make them less secure. You would only need a cranked handle with an hook on the end, to be able to crank the door open.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

OK. I never looked at the door that closely! Surely, if it is mounted externally, there must be some sort of lockable security flap that would close off the access hole for the crank handle? Either that or a means of locking the door in the down position?

Reply to
Ret.

I'm unable to answer that, because mine is fitted internally. For those lacking a second door to get in, with the mechanism internal mounted - there was an optional extension down to a hole through the garage wall and some sort of special key to crank it. I suppose the special key might be one way of restricting access(?)

No garage door offers much in the way of any real security. Mine has some lever arms which go over centre - to at least prevent it being lifted, once in the fully closed position.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's a bit odd. IME. shops and off-licences which have to be made secure (usually at the request of the Insurance company) are normally secured with just such a roller shutter door mounted externally.

I always assumed they were driven by a hefty motor through a worm drive that couldn't be forcibly reversed. In any event it wouldn't be

*that* easy to furtle about with the innards of a steel box Ca. 8ft 6" off the ground.

Loads of companies doing this sort of thing as well as common or garden "domestic" installations.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.

If they want security they padlock them to the ground. The ones padlocked to the ground are the ones the looters gave up on and went next door.

The ones not locked to the ground are only to stop the windows being broken. You can force one side up and then lever them out of the track.

Reply to
dennis