Suggestions for replacement kitchen ceiling lights

Finally getting around to replacing the existing horrible ceiling light in our kitchen.

I was wondering about fitting halogen downlighters for ease and because the ceiling is not terribly high - just above finger height for me (6'

2'').

The kitchen is already very well lit by the striplights below the cupboards on three sides and the hood lights. So despite the fact that I hate them I am thinking of fitting halogen downlighters as they will require infrequent use - the occasional grope in the back of a cupboard for example.

Should I fit Mr Screwdix's Fire Rated downlighters eg 74095-90 or

49191-90? If not, why not (I mean why fit non-Fire Rated rather than Fire Rated)? What's to choose between mains and LV? If I use LV lamps the transformers will be under the floor of the bedroom above which will have a fitted carpet. Is access to the transformers desirable?

Are there any energy efficiency considerations which should send me down a different route?

Although the kitchen is a rectangle 3 m x 5 m perhaps one or two surface mounted light(s) (but quite thin considering the height of the ceiling) giving a flat wash of light would be a better solution?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

LV bulbs last longer.

You can place the transformers in position through the hole into which you're fitting the lampholder. At least I could when I did our kitchen.

I'd second that. Although we're in a bungalow, the transformers were all positioned through the 'mounting' hole, just pulled the fibreglass clear in the loft afterwards.

Th' only thing to bear in mind, go with one transformer per light, rather than run two or three lights off one transformer - if a transfomer goes, you only lose one light!

Reply to
The Wanderer

Isn't a kitchen under 'Part P', so you will need either get a part p sparkie to do it or get the work authorised after?

Reply to
diy-newby

I'm sorry but I couldn't read your message.

In any event I'm replacing existing lights wired into pre-2003 cable. I'm sure that the replacements will look suitably aged by the time we come to sell.

Reply to
Richard

Why, are you stupid?

Reply to
diy-newby

LV is more energy efficient and much longer lived than GU10. Use eyeballs not straight downlighters, gives you some adjustment. Lamps come in a variety of beam angles, think about each lights position and purpose.. Trafos post through the downlighter holes, big brand trafos are better, Mode and IBL are good. Reaching in the back of the cupboard may be better served with cupboard lights. Fluro battens on top of the cupboards can work in low ceilinged rooms.

HTH Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I'll forgive you on the basis that your sig implies a certain inexperience in the DIY field and your reply an acceptance of Part Pee as an essential part of life's rich pageant rather than the irritant to beat all irritants.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks Adam and (some!) others

Hadn't thought about posting the transformers through the lamps holes. At the moment the room above is uncarpeted allowing easy downwards access IYSWIM. The cupboards are all flush to the ceiling. I'm really only considering fitting ceiling lighting because I installed an extra switched circuit when installing the two-way switches for the undercupboard lights. I am very impressed by just how much light these little fluoro strip units provide. I have 4 x 300mm and 1 x 150mm and together they provide _almost_ all the light needed.

Is it prudent/good practice to choose Fire-Rated units? Or overkill?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Your welcome.

Look for MR11 rather than MR16 LV downlights, the number is 1/8s of an inch an MR16 is 2" across. MR11 3* 20W eyball sets plug and play with transformer are a shed item at sub 20 quid.Set of holesaws and your done. MR8 are an inch across but the fittings tend not be cheap.

Good planning with putting 2 way guess to door as well. Undercupboards and LED above the kickboards ;-) are a bit softer for night fridge raids.

T5 is very efficient, but startlingly glary if it isnt hidden behind a cornice or something.

Kitchen a fireproof box already? If so keep the containment, under the impression,not an expert, that its only mandatory for holes into loft spaces. Terracotta plant pots have been mentioned here before

HTH Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Thanks Adam

Good point re. whether the kitchen is already a fireproof box - I doubt it!

Richard

Reply to
Richard