Suggestions for removing tiled chipboard hearth... please!

I'm trying to remove an old tiled chipboard hearth. Several of the tiles were cracked as well as being chipped at the edges and the chipboard itself had got chunks missing round the edges. The chipboard is screwed to the floorboards. (I hope it's just screwed and not glued too.)

I thought I might be able to pop the tiles off the chipboard but after

30 minutes bashing away with a bolster I've cleared maybe the equivalent of two tiles, as they're splintering into tiny shards rather than coming off in chunks. There's so much adhesive, I can't seem to get a thin bladed scraper in beneath them, and they've been butt-jointed so it's not possible to exploit the grout lines.

I thought I might be able to get a crow bar under the chipboard and lever the whole thing up but I think whoever did it really went to town on the screws.

Any suggestions other than continuing with brute force and ignorance? (And ideally something that doesn't involve too much gratuitous noise since the neighbours have just had a baby.)

I've seen wall-paper strippers mentioned in the group before as a way of removing tiles form chipboard but I don't really how there'd be sufficient moisture penetration to do any good and anyway, if they've used waterproof adhesive, isn't it...waterproof?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
mike

Crowbar and bolster chisel in from the edges, and try to split the chipboard through its (lower density) centre?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Crowbar and bolster chisel in from the edges, and try to split the chipboard through its (lower density) centre?

Now I will likely get shot down in flames for this.. But I bet an angle grinder would help, maybe create some channels and let the bolster in. Take the grinder down the line where the tiles are butted together?

Reply to
SS

Top tip there, Andy. Thanks very much. Job done!

And the neighbours went out just as your post came through...

Cuppa tea and then sweep up.

Reply to
mike

Isn't that wonderful? Question at 10 o'clock, answer at 11 o'clock, job done by 1 o'clock. Perfect.

Reply to
News

For future use, smashing one tile with a hammer makes it aesy to get under the others, or into the substrate.

Reply to
NT