Suggestions for rehab of a broken wrist

I was the original poster, requesting advice for rehab of my broken wrist.

I told you I was ill!!

Fellow countryman Robert Howley, ex Welsh scrum-half, acknowledged worldwide as being in the top drawer of international rugby players, has given up the game due to the self-same fracture.

Like me, he is recovering from a scaphoid fracture. Mind you, I haven't attempted the full rugby training schedule that he has.

Since you ask, mine's not doing too badly thanks - I'm laying decking tomorrow!

Reply to
Paper2002AD

I had a scaphoid fracture, around easter 2000 ( I was quite drunk walking around London one night ...). It will be years before you stop getting a pain from your wrist if you jar it enough or fall on it. I fell in the snow last jan and suffered for a bit. Wrist guards are a very good idea if skiing or snow boarding etc.

seem fractures never really heal.

Reply to
Peter

The wrist will be painful: o Tendons can actually stick to their sheath thro lack of use o Laying bricks involves a heavy mass, high flexion, *repeated*

You could... o Ask for an NHS physio to provide some exercises

---- the consultant could have done this (not 2 fingered variety) o Ask a private physio to provide some exercises

---- 1 visit, simple charts of exercises first explained to you

The biggest problem in physiotherapy is patients not doing it: o Rubbing a cream on your leg whilst in the packet doesn't work o The patient has to follow very BORING exercises, done right

If the squeeze ball is a non-linear foam which doesn't snap back sharply (ie, like cheap polyurethane) it will work ok. Otherwise it may aggravate the injury - same reason why they do not put cheap foam on ejector seats, only E-A-R ConFor foam.

Alternatively: o You could do a google search for rehab exercises

---- depending on your injury this may work, or may not

-------- few physios give visual advice online in USENET :-)

---- altho many standard exercises could be video on a fee-for-access

-------- without indecypherable thick indian insurance selling accent :-) o Finding a decent med library, physio book & looking up your injury

---- patient self-diagnosis is a dire solution

---- however, you are in the diagnosed outpatient rehab category

A private physio can draw up exercises in 1 visit (£25-40). They may try to get a revenue stream from you, but they really should be able to 1) recommend some decent exercises 2) give sheets showing them.

A physio of course can use other treatment - interfential, physical manipulation & mobilisation, ultra-sound, and so on to speed recovery. TENS is not interferential, TENS is often a 9V-powered-placebo so do not go in that direction necessarily for over-the-counter pain relief.

Amusing this is in a uk.d-i-y group vs a medical newsgroups :-) "NHS hip replacement patients seen posting to rec.metalworking"

Reply to
dorothy

In message , Paper2002AD writes

What, you're siamese twins ?

must make for interesting play in the scrum

Reply to
raden

DOH!

Reply to