Suggestions for rehab of a broken wrist

Regular readers will remember I broke my wrist back in August. Well, the plaster just came off and now it hurts like hell! It appears that the tendons, having been idle for alll that time, now have to start to earn their keep again.

Suggestions for therapy? (Doc says use a squeeze-ball)

How long for getting back to normal? I've got some bricks I want to lay!

Reply to
Paper2002AD

also try

James Salisbury

I would go and see a physiotherapist and take advice there.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Paper2002AD writes

Plaster a few walls ...

Reply to
raden

The person to advise you on that is your physiotherapist. If the NHS hasn't got one spare for you, it almost certainly is worth paying for a private session or two.

If you resist the temptation to use it before it is fully recovered, you will get full use back sooner than if you try to rush it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Fun as well. Baz

Reply to
pjdesign

I don't think I ever broke my wrist, but many years ago I did something to it, and peridically it would 'go' again and be unsueably agonising for a week or two.

I mentioned it to a student doctor, and he stold me that the tissues repair with scar tissue, which is inflexible, and that rips under stress.

He recommended that I keep the joint moving under low stress when it was healing.

I practiced sort of rotating 'gay waves' - very limp wristed - the next time, and it never came back.

So, just move it to the limit, till it hurts, and then relax. Don't strain it, just stretch it and get it mobile in every direction you can. Mobility is what you want, not amazing strength.

Think a squeeze ball is not best. IANOAD. Try talking with your hands as on late night PC Beeb.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would have thought that you should have been automatically referred on to the physiotherapy dept. of the hospital that plastered you. Perhaps weekly appointments to start with. Why not see if such a facility is available to you.

Regards Pete

Peter Stockdale

In article , Paper2002AD writes

? o-)

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

"Paul C. Dickie" wrote in news:vpnuOXCp1$ snipped-for-privacy@bozzie.demon.co.uk:

LOL!!!

Reply to
Frank le Spikkin

In message , Peter Stockdale writes

The basic flaw in you r reasoning is ... this is Shropshire IIRC

Reply to
raden

Right! The Telford consultant said he wouldn't refer me for physio, purely because 'that department is very busy'.

I'm not bothered by that, if it means that more seriously injured folk than me are getting treated

Reply to
Paper2002AD

In message , Paper2002AD writes

Shrewsbury hospital where my father:

was incorrectly diagnosed and almost died

contracted gangrene and MRSA

... not impressed

Reply to
raden

Dont get me started on the incompetence of NHS staff and the ineficiencies of the systems.

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Newsagents, top shelf.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well! If you were referred for physio' ... you'd be on a 'waiting-list'! You'd then be a _statistic_ ! 'Tone' has issued a ukase that 'Waiting Lists' must be reduced! If people like you insisted on clogging up waiting list demanding treatment then the list would grow and 'Tone' wouldn't be happy ... in fact some public servant might experience his wrath and not be recommended for an OBE ...!

Listen up! You're not on a waiting list - you must be OK! (?).

Sorry about the wrist !

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The following reply is beginning to sound the more attractive proposition:

%steve%@malloc.co.uk

Newsagents, top shelf.

Reply to
Paper2002AD

The service is there to be used. Perseverance is often needed though. Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

In message , Peter Stockdale writes

Not much use if someone's already died, is it ?

Reply to
raden

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Did you make any new friends as a result?

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie