Suggestions for packing out plasterboard ceiling

I need to put the final piece of plasterboard into my kitchen ceiling. The remaining space is 70 cm x 40 cm. I can pick up a small enough piece of plasterboard from B&Q to fit in my car but it is only 9 mm thick while the surrounding boards are 12.5 mm.

I would like all the boards in the ceiling to be flush and am not putting a on skim but painting directly onto the board so I reckon I need something

110 cm long by 2.5 cm wide by 3 mm deep to pack it out and make everything flush. The problem is that I can't think of anything like this which is readily available from the sheds. Ideas please.
Reply to
Wesley

hardboard. 3mm ply.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd get 12.5mm and trim to fit in the car park if necessary. Not difficult to cut approximately.

Reply to
polygonum

Go to a builders merchant and get some 12.5 mm or google tells me Wickes= should have square edge 1800 x 900 x 12.5 for =A35.28.

Saves messing about with packing pieces and 9 mm is more likely to sag more than the surrounding 12.5 over time. Particulary in a relatively damp kitchen.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bits of hardboard, slices of wood offcut, bits of plastic from the bin, or any old junk. You only need pack the joists, not the whole area. Surely its easier to use 12mm though?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Score with Stanley knife, snap and fold (or cut the remaining cardboard face).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks. That sounds like a plan :-)

Go to a builders merchant and get some 12.5 mm or google tells me Wickes should have square edge 1800 x 900 x 12.5 for £5.28.

Saves messing about with packing pieces and 9 mm is more likely to sag more than the surrounding 12.5 over time. Particulary in a relatively damp kitchen.

Reply to
Wesley

Buy a full sheet of 12 mm and take a knife with you - trivial to cut before you stick it in the car! (score one side - snap it, cut the paper on the other side)

Reply to
John Rumm

Do it on alternate sides and longways and crossways in the right order and you'll eventually end up with a cube of plasterboard almost exactly 13 inches on each side.

Reply to
The Other Mike

have you done it?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

More than likely they'll have a gash sheet you can get a bit off....

Reply to
tony sayer

With some sheds, that is all they have!

Reply to
John Rumm

And they'll still want to charge for the full sheet!

Reply to
polygonum

Not yet :)

Reply to