Suggestions for ceiling inspection cover please?

Any suggestions please for material for an access cover to be inserted in the downstairs ceiling?

Purpose is to provide very occasional service access to CH drain plugs & (possibly stop valves) at the lowest point the pipes run upstairs.

Needs to be 400mm across joists & 150mm wide (200mm would be better) & preferably finish flush with the existing 12mm plasterboard & not be too glaringly obvious when painted in white emulsion. I am envisaging fixing it within some sort of simple framework with plain stainless or brass screws.

Presumably it strictly requires something with a suitable fire rating

- would the MDF I used to cover the pipes going up the wall (as recommended in an earlier thread) be considered satisfactory?

TIA for any suggestions

Reply to
jim

I'm pretty certain 12mm MDF would be OK. I suggest you glue on something like the nice pre-painted suspended ceiling wall angle to neaten the edge of the cut plasterboard.

Reply to
82045

Is the upstairs heating on a different system from the downstairs?

Leave the ceiling in place until you need the hatch, chances are you never will, but if you do, cut it neatly and use either the same piece of PB or a new one, fill, sand and re-paint

Reply to
Phil L

I've used one of

give access in a plasterboard wall to a valve to turn off the outside tape. Takes emulsion paint fine.

Hmm.. I didn't need to worry about that. This is just plastic so wouldn't give any fire protection....

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

You could try holding it up with rare earth magnets for an invisible fix. Or velcro.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

Is there any compelling reason why you can't access the pipes from

*above* by putting a trap in the floor rather than in the ceiling below? That would be my preference!
Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , Roger Mills writes

Talking of which, does anyone know of a source of the following that I have in some of my floors that were fitted by an electrician 10 years ago.

He used a router on a bespoke jig to cut a stepped circular hole in the chipboard about 12" dia' the edges of the hole were stepped once at about 1/2 the thickness of the board. A plastic ring was placed in the hole and then the circular piece of removed board put into the ring. This provided a perfectly flat and solid access hole. I have searched for them a couple of times with no luck. They were much quicker and neater than any other method I have come across.

Reply to
Bill

Armeg solid board cutter plugs.

ARWadsworth

Trend Routabout

Andy Burns

not quite the one I was thinking of, but certainly gives the same end result. Page now bookmarked.

Reply to
Bill

just what I was thinking of, off to order a few for garage stock, to add to my "it will come in useful sometime" collection.

Reply to
Bill

I should have read you description properly shouldn't I:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth