suggestions electric "stove-style" heaters i.e dimplex

Hi,

My Mums old Dimplex log effect bar fire (30 years old) finally died last year and she replaced it with a "stove style" electric heater she got through Clifford James via a Radio Times special offer. It's looks like metal stove (in fact it's black MDF) with a flame effect and fan heater.

It's not a dimplex, though they sell similar looking models . Thing is it's a nightmare. You have to remove 20+ screws and pretty much disassemble the entire thing to change the bulbs and also remove a sheet of glass which has no edge protection.

It's 13 months old and the motor which generates the flame effect by rotating some vanes has started to make a rumbling sound (bearing ?). I'm going to argue the toss with them, but in terms of replacement I wonder if anyone has any good experiences of free standing flame effect electric heaters ? i.e build and ease of replacing the bulbs ?

The old Dimplex has a couple of bulbs and cunningly used passive spinners which turned through updraft from the red bulbs underneath

Amazon and Argos list a couple of similar stove effect models, but my concern is that these are just the same stuff OEM'd

Reply to
jives11

Updraught operated fire effect wheels are very unreliable, so yours is better in that respect.

Can you add an access port for easy bulb changes? And add a series capacitor to drop the bulb voltage slightly to get 20x the life out of it.

Little motors of various sorts arent too hard to find.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I expect the Dimplex ones are a bit better built.

I'd suggest going to the glen-dimplex website and filling in the brochure request form; they'll send you a nice colourful brochure.

Dimplex still do a couple of the "log effect" radiant bar fires, as well as wall-mounting "Studio" radiant bar fires, if that's what's wanted.

If it's not needed for heat, an LCD telly and a "real fire" DVD might fill the gap cheaper than some of the more expensive decorative fires :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain