suggest an order of work?

evening,

Just bought a house (circa 1880) which is structurley sound, however needs gutting internally - kitchen / bathroom /wireing / plastering / new boiler etc..

Could anybody point me in the right way so that i get the order right? should it be re-wired first, then new boiler, then ceilings and walls? or am i missing something vital im not seeing as a non diyer!!

Thanks all!

Reply to
druncula

1) remove all plaster, ceilings and any rotten timber that is to be replaced 2)1st fix rewire and re-plumb as nessecary 3) re-plaster 4) second fix wiring
Reply to
Phil L

If you are replacing any windows or door[frame]s, do that first.

If you are having it done all in one big bang, I would suggest adopting first fix, second fix principle. First fix is all the work before plastering, which would be the cabling and pipework. Second fix is all the work after plastering, which is fitting all the electrical and plumbing accessories (switches, sockets, radiators, etc.).

If you are doing it yourself or doing it over a long period of time, then I would do rewire first, then plastering, then central heating (you need to plaster walls before you hang radiators). When doing mine, I modified this slightly to plaster all walls where radiators would be hung, following by installing heating, followed by plastering everything else.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

where possible leave floor coverings/sanding untill the last. If you need to put in 1st fix stuff undewr floor, rip up the old carpets/ boards etc then put them back temporarily whilst plastering and decorating is finished.

and definately fit any fireplaces before decorating...DOH!

Reply to
baxter basics

basics are to start at the top with things that cause most damage, alter access, that will be cleared by the next work

Reply to
EricP