suggest a filler/sealant for between plaster and wood

Hi all I'm doing a bout of wallpaper stripping & making good of plaster in the hall/stairs at the moment, prior to repapering etc. I'm looking for suggestions as to the best material to use for filling the gap between plaster and wood.

This is at the bottom of the plastered walls, where they meet the wooden sides of the stairs. Previously this gap was (badly) filled with polyfilla or similar; I've raked this out so I now have a nice gap of 5 to 8mm or so wide, and the thickness of the plaster deep.

In some places the wood that the plaster buts up to has a bit of a slight flex to it (some boxing in of pipes, I think).

I am keen to make as good a job of filling this gap in as possible and am unsure what the best material, or combination of materials, to use. In order to minimise the effect of any flexing of the wood I'd like something with some adhesion and flex between the plaster & wood; yet for the final finish I want something plaster-like (I will be papering over the top eventually).

I was wondering about using a caulk or adhesive sealant squirted into the deep parts of the gap, to hold it all together, and then a plaster-based filler for the surface. Would this work, and if so what thickness of plaster filler would you suggest for best results? Are there any 'hi-tech' plaster fillers with some intrinsic flexibility that I could use? ir is there a bettr way entirely?

Thanks for your suggestions J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Strips of foam are quite good for the deep parts. Pipe insulation is about the right density to grip the sides and take the weight of the filler. Decorators caulk is a bit more flexible than filler but doesn't stay white.

Reply to
stuart noble

Fill the main bulk with plaster, and use decorators caulk for the final top level visible repair. Its paintable and slightly flexible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't this what wooden moulding/beading is for?

Reply to
Martin Carroll