Sugar soap or sandpaper for interior door ?

I want to paint some interior doors and skirting boards. They were last painted about 15 years ago and are doors to a bathroom and to an airing cupboard. Apart from looking jaded the painted surface is not damaged.

I'll probably use one coat of oil-based undercoat and one coat of non-drip gloss topcoat.

I don't want to go for an award winning job! But at the same time I don't want to cut corners unwisely.

QUESTION 1: For preparation can I just sand these down with a fine glasspaper? Or do I need to also use sugar soap? If so then would the sugar soap be applied before or after the glasspapering?

QUESTION 2: Is it worth using any special bathroom paint? The ordinary gloss paint used before is not mould stained or anything like that but it would be nice if the whiteness could be retained for as long as possible.

Reply to
JS

Whilst it is not specifically bathroom paint, I have used water based paint in our bathroom as it tends to yellow less. For a reason I am not clear on, oil based paints seem to yellow in low light situations (which many bathrooms seem to be).

Be warned, water based paint is not as easy to use/tends to show up brush strokes more than the alternatives.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It's also not very glossy (although it has a sheen) and is not very tough.

Cue loads of people saying how great this sht is. I have used it in lets, but would not use it at home.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It also has much poorer adhesion than oil based gloss, so surface prep. becomes much more important. (Also much lower gloss, almost silk finish, ime.)

Reply to
mark_yh

It also shows up grubby hand prints when you frequently shut&open the door. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby