sugar soap

I've been using the stuff for years for cleaning paint, old floor boards and other woodwork, etc. Does anybody know exactly what it is?

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

In the USA they seem to use trisodium phosphate for the same purpose (in those states where it hasn't been banned) so I reckon there's a good chance that that's a major active ingredient.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Reminds me that washing up liquid and sugar is an excellent hand cleaner

Reply to
Stuart Noble

?ts=25717&id=17736

Reply to
biff

Have a look for an MSDS:

eg:

Looks pretty similar ingredients to dishwasher detergent, which is also excellent at dissolving grease.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Washing-up liquid and Sugar !!!

You've just jogged my memory. Back in 1961 when I was taking GCE's, I took Geometric Drawing. The day before, my Mum said try this. A big blop of butter or margarine and a palm full of sugar all rubbed together on the back and front of my hands. Man did they feel great afterwards.

Must try it with Fairy Liquid now.

Chris.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

I'm sure that man years ago I (and my father-in-law) used to use Sugar Soap as a paint stripper.

I have bought some recently, and it doesn't mention paint stripping on the label and it definitely isn't up to the job.

Do I have to get a recognised paint stripper these days.

Regards,

Les Eaton

Reply to
Leslie Eaton

LOL

Michael McNeil (More eaten.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

its a soap, not a stripper :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

as a paint stripper<

Probably was in connection with paint preparation not stripping. It is a great degreaser. I usually use it to wash down surfaces before painting.

Reply to
Giggler

It's a cleaner you use on sound paint before re-painting etc. Strippers are different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't recall Sugar Soap ever being used or described as a paint stripper. Excellent paint work cleaner prior to repainting, wouldn't be any good for that if it did strip paint.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've just realised he might be right. Sugar soap, like any other soap or detergent, is an effective stripper and cleaner for distemper finished walls, and distemper was once common.

Washing up liquid is much cheaper, and more importantly, ready to hand.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Bicarbonate of soda is a good alternative, being not very soluble but highly abrasive.

Reply to
Stuart Noble