Successful DIY project

Problem: 8 people yesterday for Xmas dinner, table only 2' 6" by 4' 6", seats 6 at a push, but fine for the other 364 days in the year.

Solution: 2 sheets of 2' by 6' MDF held together by wooden battens, giving a

4' by 6' table top, will seat 10 to 12 with plenty of room. Even my wife had to admit it was a blinder. Total cost about £15, had enough clear varnish left over from another job.
Reply to
Buggerlugs

I've made tables from 7mm 3ply, with 50x20mm timber around the edge. They are very light and can be put on trestles or a smaller table. Cost: about =A33 excluding varnish or paint.

Reply to
Matty F

So you see that DIY is not just for people who know what they are talking about.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I don't know what you are trying to say here. The MDF looks nicer and won't splinter on the edges like ply. The ply is lighter and cheaper. When I have to put 10 tables on a truck, the weight makes a difference.

Reply to
Matty F

where do you find 7mm 3ply? And at what cost, =A33 all in is remarkably cheap, unless youre talking about little table-lets.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I can get new 7mm 3ply for NZ$7 per 8'x4' sheet. The edges are slightly damaged. But I don't want a table that big, so I trim the edges to make a table about 80"x40". The timber is about 50cents per metre, that's about NZ$3, giving a total of NZ$10. The exchange rate has changed since I last looked, so that would convert to =A33.60 in total. Of course we grow lots of pine timber here in New Zealand so it's cheap, but MDF being much thicker is several times that price. Of course 7mm MDF would fall to pieces. What I am saying is that 7mm ply has turned out to be strong enough for temporary tables if the edges are reinforced by 2 inch timber (on edge, not flat against the ply).

Reply to
Matty F