Substance to remove screen coating and reaply(None DIY but please read)

Hello All This may sound like a silly thing to do but I want to remove the screen coating on my Mitsubishi monitor and reapply it.(I know this is a none DIY question but the substance I need is very likely to be used in a DIY environment.) The reason being that over time I have cleaned it a little to vigorously with my fingers etc and I have removed some of the coating,where I cleaned it,it now looks like it is scratched when the light is on it(it isn't)only the coating has been removed where I have cleaned it.So I would like to completely remove it and reaply.Any ideas what would do a good job without scratching the glass.I have tried a few bathroom cleaners with no success,but don't want to try kitchen cleaners as they are usually abrasive.I have also tried nail polish remover,as the acetone content was suggested to me on another group I am on and turps and white spirit.The nail polish remover was the best one,but it is going to take quite a while to do a good job,the turps and white spirit was to slimy and just left a hard to get off smear.

Ideas anyone please.

Thanks A Lot Mike

Reply to
ioan_davies

The message from ioan_davies contains these words:

Sounds very DIY to me.

Reply to
Guy King

============================= Since the nail polish remover has some effect it would be worth getting some pure acetone. This should work better because it won't have the additives contained in nail polish remover.

You could also try Isopropyl alcohol (IPA ) which you may have to order from your chemist.

It might also be worth trying a small area with a sharp razor blade before cleaning with either acetone or IPA.

Cic.

Cicero

I found almost everything was very good at removing the anti glare coating on my Sony monitor :-(

If you find out how to apply a new coating then please let me know.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Err, the coating thickness is a quarter of the wavelength of visible light - that's how it works. How do you plan to apply a 150nm thick coating?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hello Cic Just a big thanks for your informative reply.Any ideas where to get pure acetone from as I have looked in B & Q,Focus etc and no one seems to know where to get any from.I presume one of those nail/false nail polishing places you see in the high streets would be a good place to look next as it is a nail substance. As for the recoating I was going to put some car windscreen moisture repellent on and then to keep it clean after I would use some iClean from Apple/Monster.As all the coating would be gone by this time, I will be able to see my screen with no anti glare scratches distracting me.

Again thanks a lot for the information. Mike

Reply to
ioan_davies

========================== You can get acetone at most chemists - some might ask you what you want if for as it's a bit hazardous. It's best to use rubber or latex gloves if you're using it a lot.

Check the post from 'Dave' about re-coating although your solution isn't strictly speaking 're-coating'. If you get to the stage of plain glass then it should be quite simple to keep it clean.

Cic.

Cicero