subsidised loft insulation report

Just had loft insulated for 99 pounds. It was worth it, just !

The loft had been boarded between the binders (about half the loft area), t= hen just ceiling joists to the end walls.

So, they fitted 100mm between the joists and 200mm across the joists in the= unfloored area, which is what I'd expect. But in the middle area they only put down 200mm (maybe they assumed there w= as already some under the boarding), although as its slatted, you can see t= here isn't. And the trouble is the scored "earthwool" insulation tends to g= ape easily, so there were lots of gaps, including around any woodwork in th= e loft that was in the way. Very poorly done in the little gable over the b= ay windows. And a gap left around the edges to maintain ventilation was rather enthusia= stic, especially the roof has barely any soffit, no edge ventilation and ti= les without felt. =20 Well, I knew what they were obviously going to do from the rolls the one gu= y asked the other one to bring up, as he asked for far to few rolls of 100m= m stuff, and it sounded like they were short of it (on the first job of the= morning !?). It so happened I had some rolls of 170mm insulation left over= from the extension roof that needed to be used up or thrown away, so I lay= ed this over the middle section and pushed a bit down toward the eves.

At the end I asked him if he had laid the same amount across the whole floo= r and he looked slightly shifty and said yes ! He then seemed surprised that I was paying for the job, so perhaps he went = away feeling a bit like a cowboy. But more likely all the jobs are done in = a slightly slapdash way.

Also, just replacing a rather forlorn bag of insulation stapled to the back= of the loft hatch with some left over celotex !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

[...]

I got mine done about 6 months ago (Scotland) loft + cavity wall for free. About 2 weeks ago a guy appeared at the door asking if he could check the work, he is bringing them back out to put a couple of roof vents in, insulate the cold water tank and insulate the hatch which apparently they should have done at the time. Pleasantly surprised considering it was free that they are actually checking up on the work done.

Reply to
ss

[...]

That should be fun, since I have modified what they have done ! The original form says that "their technicians" have to check the work befo= re and after, but nobody checked before. My next job is to put up some shelves on the big 9" gable wall for most of = the original storage, and I think a storage platform will go in for the few= heavier items (an oil-filled radiator and a large tent). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We had to leave my hatch uninsulated due to the ladder being very close to it when its closed from below. Its one of those pantographic folding ladders attached to the side but lays across the door. Shame that.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

[...]

Nothing is free. Someone is paying.

Reply to
harry

[...]

Not sure of the exact detail but I get for free and the companies tot up the green energy savings and sell them to large indudtrial businesses who can buy them then pollute like F... The things a scam from beginning to end.

Reply to
ss

Ah, my hatch opens upwards. Do most loft ladder setups work with a downwards opening door? I suppose you could insulate the hatch on the underside, but it would obviously protrude from the ceiling. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

opening door?

obviously protrude from the ceiling.

The ones that I've installed/used do. Mine is a retrofit to give a good size (it would just take an 8x4 sheet with careful handling and enough bods to keep it away from the roof) and the toes of my shoes (47) touch the hatch, so insulation isn't an option. I asked in here about an isulationg cover and got some ideas but nobody posted any tuits. Perhaps in the warmer weather...

Reply to
PeterC

opening door?

obviously protrude from the ceiling.

Could you have an insulated flap on top of the hatch that somehow moves out of the way when the flap is opened ? Or how about a string pulled from below that drags a blanket of insulation over the hatch ? And so on ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

opening door?

obviously protrude from the ceiling.

the way when the flap is opened ?

over the hatch ?

Easier to convert to a drop down flap I would have thought

Reply to
stuart noble

the way when the flap is opened ?

the hatch ?

Grimly Curmudgeon

downwards opening door?

obviously protrude from the ceiling.

of the way when the flap is opened ?

over the hatch ?

Not when it has a triple-thickness ladder on it! I could use the insulated box suggestion as it's easy to drop the hatch. go up the ladder and then move the cover back. My only though, for a quick, cheap, easy answer that would have some useful effect is to use a cheap TOG

13 duvet. That should be big enough to cover the whole area and drape down to the floor in the loft and, in most cases, could be shoved out of the way by whatever I'm carrying up there.
Reply to
PeterC

the way when the flap is opened ?

over the hatch ?

outway the saving in cost of energy (upstairs is only about 14 - 15 deg. C).

Reply to
PeterC

I just glued 100mm of polystyrene sheet to my loft hatch and sealed the seating rim with draught excluder plus devised a tension strap from curtain spring to hold it down tight. I'm thinking of a more permanent arrangement, akin to over-centre buckles, etc. It's surprising what a difference it made, as sitting under it, I was aware of a slight draught - that's totally gone now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'd love to put insulation on the hatch but there is a space of about 50mm and my feet take up all of that, so the insulation has to be over the ladder and not under it.

Reply to
PeterC