Stuff it - this is ridiculous

"The Heat is On" playing in the background.

I've held out against turning the CH back on from its 'frost protection' mode but this morning it was 5.9C at 07:00 outside.

So the heating is back on for the moment.

On pondering if this weather was atypical I remember that last year around this time the Suffolk Show had the second day cancelled because of extreme high winds plus heavy rain.

However I do think it was warmer.

Grumble.

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Its normal. Clear skys allow radiation to cool the ground. Wet and windy blocks it so its warmer.

There are exceptions depending on where the wind is coming from.

Reply to
dennis

Pah, tropical. Night before last 0.6 C minimum, last night was warm with a min of 1.8 C. Odd bit of snow yesterday, very wet sleet this morning.

Currently 3.5 C F5 NE'ly Wind chill about -10 C.

I don't think it's that out of the ordinary as such but the late spring is. Our daffs are just going over, it's only this week that the Rowans have started to break bud, the Birches were thinking about it but appear to have stopped. At a rough guesstimate I'd say we are about four weeks behind "normal".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Met Office figures for this month are, of course, only provisional, but the last time we had averages this low in May was 1965. That was when it was claimed we were heading for a new ice age.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I guess the power companies are rubbing their hands in glee. I feel sorry for the poor elderly who struggle to keep warm in the Winter, some must be desperate now.

Reply to
Broadback

I was finishing off a decking job yesterday.

Torrential rain, then sunshine (so warm I had to take my coat off), then hail stones - all within an hour!

I blame the Guvmint....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Was that before or after the ozone layer was going to kill us all?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The chap running a local nursery reckons his plants are about six weeks late this year.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Put a vest on !

Reply to
Andy Cap

OTOH the cold winter is the main reason that we're not still in recession. ;-)

Reply to
Mark

In article , Andy Cap writes

"Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out"

never was a saying so apt.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I was idly wondering how much this is affecting the economic recovery. I hear wheat prices are going up due to poor growing weather. We're running our heating at the moment ... that's all money that can't be spent elsewhere ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Four seasons in one day ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

On Friday 24 May 2013 07:24 David.WE.Roberts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Last year, IIRC we had a short spell of flaming heat in June was it? Then some fool announced the hosepipe ban and that was it for the rest of the year.

This year it got quite toasty around May Day. However I have a pile of guttering round the back and I was going to book yesterday and today off to fit it (having spent 3 weekends doing all the enabling works, drains, last bit of gutterboard, marking level datum marks all the way around to gauge the 1:600 fall against -

(that adds up around 2 sides to nearly 30mm and I don;t have a lot of height to play with and I don;t want the guttering coming below the board as that looks wrong).

I'm hoping for 2 dry warmish days next week. Still gave me a chance to order a set of LadderMats (rubber grips that can be used to level up) and a cheap standoff so I do not have to lean backwards (soffits are 450mm deep including gutter - and obviously I cannot rest the ladder on the guttering I'm fitting).

Bah...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Times today reckons it is going to be the coldest spring since

1962.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Naaah, blame wodney speed, he's just re-surfaced and the weathers gone crap again :)

My song thrushes are a good month late this year, only just finishing laying their first clutches of eggs, this time last year they had raised a set of chicks and were a few days off hatching the next clutch.

Reply to
Gazz

June, be damned! It was February or March - very dry early in the year.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

On Friday 24 May 2013 18:12 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes, you are right, I think. June had a week or two where it was very hot then it was back to pissing it down...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I seem to recall lots of stuff about "we need rain, but not ordinary rain cos that just runs off, we need torrential rain that carries on for months to restore ground water levels"...

Be careful what you wish for ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

'S where the "too cold for snow" saying comes from .

It snows from clouds (NSS). No clouds mean no snow It only gets really cold when there is no cloud cover So very cold = no snow (ish)

Cue raft of people 'saying' "ah but I remember the snow coming down at fourteen feet an hour and it was minus 50 so yah."

Didn't say it worked in all circumstances (or even at all ) just explaining where the saying is thought to originate.

Reply to
soup