Stud wall sound insulation

Hi, please can anyone recommend some batts etc. for sound insulation for a new stud wall seperating a bathroom and bedroom. Studs (2x4) are up but plasterboard not attached yet.

I have looked at

which sells acoustic mineral wool (AMW). This is a good site and gives prices for other stuff also e.g. Celotex.Their AMW is a lot more expensive than Wickes General Purpose Insulation.

Lastly, are Resilient Bars and Acoutic Membrane (expensive) worth it?

Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

Have a look at Part E of the building regulations, it has examples of building sound insulating stud walls with commonly available materials

- more emphasis on decoupling each side of the wall than on sound absorbent material.

dom

Now's the time to build a second stud wall not touching the first. Clad both in double thickness plasterboard. Fill with any of the less expensive sound insulation materials. You'll have adequate sound insulation between bathroom and bedroom even after a curry...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you for the replies. I've trimmed the studs and moved them to one side of the 2x4 sole and header plates, and then inserted some more 2x3 to make offset stud walls. I now notice that I may have to connect noggins between the studs on one side of the wall to those on the other side. Will this spoil the sound insulation properties? Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

other, Fermacell prefinished wallboard (don't use two layers of plasterboard as Fermacell is superior) and rigid Rockwool batts

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It will reduce the insulation. Can I ask why you need the noggins?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'll live without noggins. If you want to stabilise against twist and distortion, a 45 degree piece at top and another at bottom, effectively bracing to the top and soleplate, will prevent twist if fixed solidly. It wont prevent warp.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You'll live without noggins. If you want to stabilise against twist and distortion, a 45 degree piece at top and another at bottom, effectively bracing to the top and soleplate, will prevent twist if fixed solidly. It wont prevent warp. An L shaped metal bracket top and bottom would do the same.

Whether these are worth putting in I'm not so sure.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

More hi-tech expensive 'solutions' where non is needed.

Fermacell costs approx 3 times as much as single plasterboard and doesn't give as good sound insulation properties as a double layer.

So if sound insulation is the priority and cost an issue stick to plasterboard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Keep your poor comments to yourself. Don't respond to me.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

189 (pointless posts in 14 days)

But I'm sure you know you must be corrected when you give poor advice, dribble.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The noggins are for the toilet cistern and basin. Cheers

Reply to
nafuk

Any reason not to just fit them to the bathroom side of the double stud wall?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)