Stud Wall for Shed - Bracing and Spacing

So I'm building a timber framed and metal sheet cladded garden shed. It will be approx 6m x 3m x 2.5m, constructed from 4 x 2s and bolted down onto a concrete pad. The cladding sheets are just under a metre in width.

Question - How closely should I space the studs? Should the studs coincide with the edges of the metal cladding so that the vertical edges of the cladding can be screwed to them rather than just screwing adjacent sheets together with short screws? Would 1 metre be too far apart to space the studs?

Do I need to brace the stud walls or would the metal sheets provide sufficient bracing to stiffen everything up?

Reply to
Eugbug

I would get the joins on the studding - you know it's going to be better.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The metal's long axis should be at right angles to the studs. The long axis is normally vertical so your studa want to be horizontal. So it's not like a timber shed. Google:- images sheet metal cladding structural drawings. Basically similar structures for steel and timber frame buildings.

Reply to
harry

How long is a piece of string? I've seen shed of 1x1 and 2x4 and more. Your call.

Joins should be into studs, otherwise you've got no rigidity to the walls.

no

The sheets will rust away eventually. Best if the building doesn't collapse or half collapse as a result. Bracing is the perfect use for junk anyway.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds like something close to 450mm would be good - basically both edges and centre of the cladding sheet.

Yes definitely, much stronger and easier when all the edges fall on a stud or nogging.

Depends on how stiff the cladding is, but probably...

(although to be fair, most commercial shed have skimpy studs, thin cladding, and way to wide spacing, and yet they seem to stand up ok!)

Generally no, unless you need the frame to resist racking before you get the cladding on (say of you need to climb about on the roof first etc). Then you could always slap a temporary diagonal plank on for that if needs be. Once the cladding is on, it will hold it all ridged.

Reply to
John Rumm

6m x 3m is quite big for a shed. I would be looking to use studs at certainly no more than 600mm centres and possibly down to 400mm depending on how exposed the building is (to weather / wind). You could consider counter-battening for fixing the cladding.

Regarding overall stability, you really ought to be sheathing the wall construction with structural OSB or plywood. Too many / large openings in any of the elevations will give you a weak structure even with sheathing.

What form is the roof? Is it flat or pitched? And, if it's pitched are you planning on a flat or vaulted ceiling?

For such a big building, you really ought to consult a structural engineer otherwise you could be heading towards disaster!

Reply to
PeterL