Stud wall for pipes

Hi,

I'm refitting a bathroom and need to build a stud wall to hide pipe and the waste from the shower tray. What's the best size wood to ge without going overboard? also, is there a particula type o plasterboard I should get (an off the wall shower will be installe against this wall when tiled).

Any help appreciated. Thanks Mar

-- markjohnson102

Reply to
markjohnson102

Hi,

I'm refitting a bathroom and need to build a stud wall to hide pipe and the waste from the shower tray. What's the best size wood to ge without going overboard? Also, is there a particular type o plasterboard I should get (an off the wall shower will be installe against this wall when tiled).

Any help appreciated. Thanks Mar

-- markjohnson102

Reply to
markjohnson102

I'd go for 3"x2" timber for your studwork, clad in aquapanel (search the archives of this newsgroup for more) for the wallboard within the shower area

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi Mark Ask for regularised timber at a timber merchants. It is even and straight, not like rough sawn timber, so your wall surface will be nice and flat. Nominal sizes 47x75 or 47x100 will do it. You might want to think about using treated timber if there's a risk of it getting wet.

Don't use plasterboard anywhere near showers - even the green "moisture-proof" sort. It will soak up any moisture that touches it, and disintegrate behind the tiles. Plywood is not advisable either, as it's difficult to get a good bond with the tile adhesive. It's best to use a cement backing board such as Aquapanel, which you can get at DIY stores. It comes in 900x1200 panels (which are quite heavy). This site shows you how to use it:

Peter Taylor

Interesting - I've done two showers now and both have had one wall which is plasterboard without any problems whatsoever. The current one is 15 years. I'm not decrying what you say by any means - just taking on board what you are saying but pointing out that if properly constructed there should be no problems.

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

Its a belt and braces thing... hopefully the board will never get wet, in which case plasterboard would have been ok. If however it does ever get wet something other than plasterboard would be a good choice!

Reply to
John Rumm

marine ply about 3/8" is top banana. If you want a decent finsih nail plasterboard on it.

MDF ain't bad at all, and tiles and paints well, but cracks between sheets may be an issue - hard to get it all right in one sheet. Lining paper maybe...

Plasterboard is fine really - use foil backed of course - if you make up mounting plates behind for the shower stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats why you tile it. I've got it everywhere. No probs at all.

It isn;t actually...if you use a suitable one. Evostick waterproof has worked FINE for me on a softwood surface with a ply section...

It's best to

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Honestly, I've seen so many serious problems caused by leaks around showers, usually due to cracked grouting or split or poorly bonding silicon mastic, but also sometimes leaking plumbing. The problem is you usually don't know for ages that it's leaking until there is visible evidence, and by then the damage has been done, especially if the water has affected any plasterboard. It's like anything risky, someday it's gonna happen to YOU.

It's the right material, made specially for the job, so why not use it? An alternative is Hardibacker 500 cement board. I've never used it but I've heard it's much lighter and easier to use than Aquapanel.

Peter Taylor

I used 2x4 for the wall, and normal platerboard, however aquaboard is better. I went a bot OTT with the 4x2 so the plasterboard had no flex in it when up.

Rick

Reply to
Rick