Stud/pipe detection- can anyone recommend.........

......something that can make random bleeping noises, accompanied by a real ly uninformative visual display, as you waft it around on a surface you nee d to drill into? My Stanley S200 stud and cable detector seems ideally suit ed to the job, but I wanted to check whether I might be missing out on some thing even more useless.

Cheers.

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

My Bosch GMS120 seems capable of giving false positives and false negatives when scanning areas that I know do/don't have buried wiring.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My conclusion is I haven't found a good one yet.

Studs - test by tapping and a magnet to locate screws/nails.

Pipes - these do have some success with a good pipe detector.

Wires under plasterboard - nothing works, the whole PB sheet just looks "live" - I suspect being slightly damp and gypsum what it is, it's probably a bit conductive and distributes the electric field from a cable over a wide area. Solid plaster on brick is easier - the brickwork "earths" the plaster generally so the field is localised, but a sheet of PB on wooden studwork is like a big plate capacitor.

My theory anyway.

That's before you get into vapour barrier PB with (possibly) metallised plastic coverings.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My cheap/basic metal/live wire Aldi device:

Gives a few false positives on lath/plaster (lots of nails), no chance on plasterboard.

Pretty good.

Finds mains wires quite well, I always thought.

Reply to
RJH