Stud Partition and RSJ

In my Flat the original kitchen layout had a recess (about the size for a table) which then backed onto the hall cupboard.

The recess and cupboard were knocked together to create a box room so the kitchen no longer has a recess. I want to change the layout back to how it was originally - Kitchen with recess and hall Cupboard. However the original wall between the cupboard and the recess must have been a supporting wall as there is an RSJ there.

I need to put up a stud partition wall under the RSJ then plasterboard over the lot so it just looks like the Original wall.

1) Do I need to build a frame either side of the RSJ? or 2) can I just build up to the RSJ (if so how would you attach the ceiling plate to the RSJ)?
Reply to
inNeedofHelp

This bit of logic defeats me - why must it have been a supporting wall because there is an RSJ there? Where is the RSJ, and where do its ends rest?

Reply to
Grunff

The RSJ is about 2 foot down from the cieling height. Above this there is part of the original dividing brick wall which the RSJ is supporting. The ends of the RSJ are inserted into the walls either side which run at 90 degrees to the RSJ/old partition wall

Reply to
inNeedofHelp

You won't need to many fixing points on the RSJ, so drill through with an HSS drill bit and bolt, or self tap, the ceiling plate to one side of the leaf on the RSJ.

Reply to
BigWallop

Is there any need to attach to the ceiling? I'd just mount the studs firmly against the walls each side and mount the top plate on top of them. I'm presuming the "span" is quite short. Make sure you tape the plasterboard, though, to avoid cracks due to movement at the top of the wall. I'd be tempted to use a bit of no more nails to stick it up to reduce movement, but not to provide actual strength.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Drill the RSJ, and bolt the ceiling plate on. You don't need many holes.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper