stud detectors

Are the cheap end versions any good ?

I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard (1930's house) so I can hang shelves, pics etc.

Or should I invest in a couple of powerful magnets ?

Thx

Reply to
nilesh.shah.uk

> Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard

I've got two stud detectors and I find them somewhat flakey on occassion. Stanley is a decent brand, so maybe it's better.

Sometimes you can find the studs by looking at the skirting board. If its fixed at regular intervals it's likely the studs are in the same place.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard

Or a thermal imaging camera.

Graham

the word stud applied to what is a piece of wood is akward, as is the use of a stud detection tool, which normaly have a metal detector. I have examined a few and they will not say on the packaging wether they detect a wooden baton or the nails that hold plasterboard and laffin plaster wood to the wood. If the wood that is used to nail plasterboard to is called stud, then it would require more than a metal detector to find it. If these detectors only find the nails and it is the nails which are detected, then the detectors should be called metel detectors.

Reply to
d.travers1

Mine switches from one to the other but I've never been able to tell the difference

Reply to
Stuart Noble

As a general rule, no. However you may get lucky, some of them may be better than useless.

For ones that definitely will work try the Zircon range. They are not that cheap but can usually reliably detect a number of things.

Magnets can be handy in some cases anyway. Even the best stud detectors will fail with foil backed plasterboard (or with foil covered insulation behind s the plasterboard)

(rswww.com do a good range of Zircon scanners)

Reply to
John Rumm

The good ones will detect the wood - there does not need to be any nails to present to detect the stud position.

it is... (not to be confused with threaded rod that is sometimes called studding)

True, you need a stud detector.

True, but that is not hoe they work - some stud detectors will also find metal - but that is an extra capability.

Reply to
John Rumm

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com explained :

Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard

What is wrong with the tried and tested method of tapping on the wall with a finger tip and listing to the change in the sound it produces?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have a Zircon one. Seems to work a treat.

Reply to
Huge

>>> Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard

taking precise notes of where the studs are, then hang the shelves for you.

Pity really, as these would be so handy.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I tend to do that as a check when using my cheap Draper metal/voltage detector to find the nails. When both methods agree, I'm confident I've found a stud.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

> Specifically I want to use them to detect studs behind plasterboard

They fail when the plasterboard is foil backed. ;-)

Reply to
George

Don't know abouit cheap ones ... but after a lot of Googling around I bough a ZIRCON Triscanner PRO SL and it works exactly as it's supposed to.

enough and does the job

Reply to
Osprey