stuck union nut

Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with pliers but the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm, scared that I will bend the valve/pipe, any suggestions?

P R L Hughes

Surely you should be pushing down on the spanner to undo the nut which should move towards the radiator as it unscrews.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

That is the correct answer.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

+1
Reply to
Roger Mills

AOL :)

Reply to
GB

+2. The thread is on the valve, not the radiator. It's a normal right hand thread. It may well be pretty tight, by the look of it, you might be better off holding it with water pump pliers or with a large adjustable (applied over the end of the valve spindle). Or a mole wrench, applied the same way.
Reply to
newshound

The nut is captive on the rad tail, and screws on the valve - not the other way around. So in that case you need to push the spanner down.

Grip the body of the valve in another tool such as locking spanner, or even a stilson style pipe wrench.

Reply to
John Rumm