Stuck gas adaptor

I had an unexpected caravan problem this weekend with a new clip-on gas adaptor like this

The gas ran out, so I tried to release the fitting, but it was resistant to all attempts. I turned the knob to the off position, but lifting the plastic arm would not release the catch. In the end I had to buy a new fitting.

I guess that, as a last resort (and to be able to swap the empty cylinder) I could drive out the pivot pin, which should allow the other bits to drop out. Not sure the angle grinder is a good idea on this one ;-)

Annoyingly, I had swapped from one like this

because I found that, my access restricted by the caravan gas locker, it wouldn't engage with the connection unless I hit it with a mallet, which can hardly be good practice.

Am I just unlucky?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Chris J Dixon said the following on 28/08/2013 08:12:

Should be no need to assist with the mallet for either connector - turning from the 'release position' to the 'off position' pulls the connector down onto the bottle.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Well I have just changed to BP light with its clip on system I too could not get the Gaslow connector off what ever I did there were no instructions on packet or in it. Sort advice, turn switch off....yes done that.... press the switch it...... so did that and off it popped. Should you be doing the pressing in, its not obvious you have to do that. By the way my Gaslow is a 27mm one and it not as streamlined as yours just a metal casting. Regards David

Reply to
David

No regulator so the hose is at cylinder presure. I wonder if that presure is pushing the connector hard against the seatings stopping things releasing?

Not good at all. You do have to get things nice and square before they connector will drop on. I find it sometimes a bit fiddly on our gas fire with the cylinder in place as access is restricted. Could be a damaged connector on the cylinder as they can be a bit variable have you checked that?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Chris J Dixon laid this down on his screen :

That one looks as if you have to press the tiny red button in, which interlocks it, to release it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Could be, the on/off lever has to be moved past off and push the release bail down (see steps in the end of the handle...).

Thinking about it our butane regulator for the fire has something similar but surely the OP knows how to take these things off. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not now, it is disconnected from the hose. In any case the interlock with the gas tap means it has to be off first.

I've not noticed anything visible.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I presume you mean 'release position' to the 'ON position', since OFF is the release position.

What you describe is not how I understand it. If you look inside the connector, turning ON moves forward a pin which engages with the valve on the cylinder. The valve has a mechanical interlock which will not allow this unless it is fully engaged.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

No, the tiny red button allows you to turn the knob. That is not the issue. The knob is firmly in the OFF position, yet lifting the catch is apparently not releasing pressure on the hidden plastic wedge which engages with the groove on the cylinder.

The very similar replacement that I bought, to enable my weekend to continue with a gas supply, worked as expected.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

As shown in the photo it is OFF. When ON the steps in the handle engage with the end of and notch in the pivoted arm.

To release you pull upwards on the pivoted arm which in turn releases the pressure on the retainer. Sadly this is not releasing its grip on the cylinder.

My distress purchase of a very similar one works exactly as expected.

Well, I thought so, it is not exactly my first time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon