Stuck Door

It's a molecular monofilament supported by a Slaver stasis field. It's called a "variable sword" because the monofilament winds back into a handle, so you can have it any length you like. It has a little red button on the end so you know where it is and don't cut any of your own appendages off by mistake.

William Gibson uses a similar device in one of his "Sprawl" novels ("Neuromancer", I *think*) where Case comes out of the Gentleman Loser and a ninja assassin tries to kill him with a bolas made of monofilament. No Slaver stasis field, since they haven't been invented in Gibson's universe... :o)

(Yes, I read too much science fiction.)

Reply to
Huge

Well boys and girls I've sorted it - I had a good think and I looked all the way around my cupboard and found that my coat hooks are secured onto a large piece of wood which is in turn screwed to the wall, around the side of the cupboard. Given that all my tools were in the cupboard (and I couldn't be bothered going across town to get my freinds) I got a dinner knife out and unscrewed the screws that attach it to the wall. Then I got a sharp kitchen knife and cut a hole in the plasterboard. Then cut through the insulation then through the other side. I then got a coat hanger and attached that to the washing line and tried to hook it up but it was not strong enough and kept bending. So I donned my MacGuyver head and tied a couple of knives to the line, dropped one through with lots of slack, sat the other in the hole then smacked it really hard. It shot out into the cupboard.... and stuck in the wall the other side.

Sigh.

So a couple of goes of that managed to hook it around the clothes horse

- pull and hey presto it's moved out of the way and I'm in!

The coat hook is back up and you cant see the hole. The other side just needs a little plaster and paint and Its as if it never happened!

Thanks for all your tips - The magnet idea I loved but couldn't find one to borrow!

Sadly this now means I have access to all the cleaning products in there so I no longer have an excuse to live in a messy house

Cheers

Tom

Reply to
Bouffont

Ah, but you can't possibly start cleaning till you've fixed the door properly. Which could take *ages*.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You don't have a wife, I gather. If you have you're going to be in trouble for all that ruined kitchenware. Or have to buy a new lot :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher