stuck bedroom door

hi all

This is the most ridiculous and annoying problem ever, in fact I can't believe I'm about to write this but, here goes... I can't open the door to one of my upstairs bedrooms anymore! The damned thing has suddenly overnight become completely immovable!!?? It's almost like something is blocking it from the other side but, there's nothing behind it that could have fallen over or anything and I'm absolutely baffled as to what the hell it could be that's causing it.

Anyone ever encountered anything like this before? Short of going up a ladder and smashing my way in from the outside, I can't think of what else to do?

cheers

Reply to
dustie

In message , dustie writes

I've had a bad evening with the PC so thanks for brightening my day!

Can you tell where it is stuck? Top, bottom, side etc. ? If it is all then I would suggest that it has got damp and swelled, if so maybe get some one to hold the handle down while you give it a good shove. If just the handle side is it moveable at the top and bottom but not the middle, has the catch failed and although it appears to be operating in reality it isn't? What ever, have fun. :-) Can't be as bad as my neighbour, he managed to lock his keys in his bedroom a while back. Best of luck.

Reply to
Bill

Reminds me when I was a kid, and one of neighbours managed to get suck in their bedroom. I think the doorhandle broke off or something like that. That got all the neighbours out with their ladders. ISTR there was almost a race to see who could rescue them first. Anyway, after this fairly elderly couple had been rescued and brought down the ladder, someone popped back indoors, and discovered that all that had been needed was for someone to nip upstairs and open the door from the other side!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

As Bill says, does the door have a latch on it with a turn handle? The latch maybe stuck out and the handle is just turning around doing nothing. Try slipping a strip off a plastic bottle into the gap at the latch to release it.

Have the kids been playing with the Super Glue? Do you have any kind of carpeting on the floor that may be wrinkled up? Have you had wooden floors laid recently? Have you had any flooding or even small leaks? Is the bedroom window secure or have squatters moved in and locked the door?

If the door feels stuck all around the frame, have you felt any kind of movement in the whole house? If the building has moved by some kind of slip or subsidence, then the frame could be catching the door.

Reply to
BigWallop

If you whack the door all round its edges you'll see what moves slightly and what doesnt. Place a bit of wood against the door and hit that to avoid any risk of marking/denting it. Then you'll know exactly where its stuck, and that says a lot about hat the cause is. That or your whacking will open it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you whack the door all round its edges you'll see what moves slightly and what doesnt. Place a bit of wood against the door and hit that to avoid any risk of marking/denting it. Then you'll know exactly where its stuck, and that says a lot about hat the cause is. That or your whacking will open it.

NT

Cheap catches can fall apart so that the handle doesn't withdraw the latch.

Reply to
John

I think it's the handle/catch. It's very firmly stopping there so I don't think it's turning all the way properly anymore, though it is definitely turning a bit. Ah well, time to get some big mates round tonight to try and break it... :(

Reply to
dustie

I presume the handle cannot be removed from the outside? If it can you can then turn the bar with a spanner. Otherwise the handle is probably broken internally anyway and needs replacing => you can "remove" it using something more meaty than a screwdriver.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

One thing I had just after moving into a house and getting stuck in the bathroom was finding someone had cut the square bar too short. After slamming the door, the bar shifted and disengaged with the handle. Using the only tool I had in the bathroom, a pair of nail clippers, I managed to unscrew the handle, and then grip the

1mm of square bar which was still sticking out of the latch mechanism. Nail clippers were buggered though.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A builder friend of mine told me of a similar situation which he had to deal with.

In the 70's when it was the 'fashion' to knock through the ground floors of terraced houses to give the 'open plan effect' he received an emergency call one morning. On arrival he was greeted by a young couple who were trapped in their bedroom. They dropped the door keys to him & he let himself into a totally gutted house.

The householder had decided to d.i.y to safe money & knocked through a load bearing wall without supporting the upper floor. During the night things started to 'droop' thanks to our friend gravity and the only thing which had prevented the whole lot from collapsing was the fact they'd closed their bedroom door!

Don.

Reply to
Don

A similar thing happened to me the first time I went into my "new" house. I closed the bedroom door with me inside and when I went to open it, the handle came off. It had only a ball catch so no bar to grip. I had panicky visions of being found there months later until I remembered I had a screwdriver in my pocket and was able to prise the door open.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Remove handle and see if spindle can be turned with mole grips.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And I thought you were pleased to see me. :-(

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

did that so that the square bit was sticking out. used a pair of pliers to turn it as far as I could but it made no difference...

Reply to
dustie

Tried that but can't get anything to go all the way in round the 'corner' of the door frame...

Reply to
dustie

I fitted a new lock/handle on my kitchen door some years ago. Standing outside I carefully pulled the door closed to check alainment. Bugger! The handle, and all my tools were inside! I had to go down the road knocking on doors to find somebody with a screwdriver.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Is there also a lock on the door? I have one where if you turn the key half way you can't turn the handle on the catch. But I guess you've already tried the key if any.

Thinking laterally -- if you you give up on the lock but have access to the hinges, knock out the pins (or to save anyone else saying it, angle-grind them apart). Much less damage than the police-style "big red key".

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Assuming the door opens into the room? The door frame may be a separate piece of timber which could be prized off, allowing you access to the latch. If not, good excuse to buy a Bosch PMF 180 to cut out a section of the frame.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I tried again and DID manage to slip a credit card all the way into the door frame so I could slide it up and down. It won't let me slide where the latch is though. I've used pliers to turn the handle as far as it will go but, checking with the credit card, that latch is still very much sticking out so it looks like that's definitely the problem... I can't shove the card in where it needs to go though to force hte latch back in no matter how hard I try... :(

Reply to
dustie