Stuck ball valve

Drained a bit of water out of my central heating system today in order to add a cleaner (Header tank installation)

Shocked to find I couldn't bleed any air our later. Other rads sucked. I found that the ball valve wasn't letting in water. I fiddled a about with the plunger (it is a plastic one) and eventually it worked.

Is this common?

Will turn off the water tomorrow and dismantle it - in a really awkward location though. Must have been easy for the builders before the roof was fitted!!

Reply to
John

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:03:45 GMT someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

Such valves don't operate often, so can seize. Make it part of your maintenance regime to operate them once or twice a year.

Reply to
David Hansen

It happens. Had one the other day where I _wanted_ to turn off the supply to the header but couldn't find the internal stopcock and the outside one was occupied by an ants' nest. Fortunately the valve had stuck and the header tank was already empty!

Reply to
John Stumbles

I am wondering about fitting a filling loop and doing away with the tank. However, the system (and house) is 20 years old with a Worcester Heatslave Highflow Boiler. It has all the facilities for a direct feed (pressure vessel, gauge, etc)

It would be fairly easy - but could I end up creating other problems?

Reply to
John