Struggling with Central Heating

Hi all, wonder if anyone can offer this idiot and central heating newbie, some guidance.

Previously, we had room thermostat that was the (aged) type with the big round dial (??). Next to my boiler we have a timer switch. This all worked wonderfully, bar the fact that the thermostat was looking a bit worse for wear and I fancied a bit more control.

So, I've bought a Drayton Digistat 3. Its all wired up, but I'm having trouble getting it to operate the central heating. I've got it wired as the tech guys @ Drayton says it should be wired (so hopefully thats ok - at least, there's been no big bangs ;o) ).

Given I have this (more advanced) thermostat downstairs, what should the timer switch be put to upstairs ? On, Once a day, Twice a day ? Off??? (pretty sure its not going to be that last one).

Daft question alert here now ... the timer switch upstairs has the On, Once a day, Twice a day etc both for Hot Water and for Central Heating. Do I need the Hot Water on for the Central Heating to be warm ? (told you it was daft - but if you never ask .......... )

Anyone offer some assistance ? Its a bit cold in here tonight :o(((

Reply to
Andy M Jenkins

If it is wired in to the same wires as the old stat and you haven't messed around with the wiring at the other end of that cable. Then the timer needs to be set to "ON".

Depending on how the rest of the system is plumbed and what other controls you may or may not have independant control of the HW/CH.

See above. Is this a fully pumped system? Is the HW on a gravity primary loop? Is there a motorised valve (or valves) anywhere?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm no expert but I would suggest that you set the CH timer for always ON and use the digistat to control the CH.

It depends on your system.

Mark

Reply to
Mark