Struggling to get money back from BAC Windows

In August I entered into a contract with BAC to supply and fit replacement windows and doors. The contract was for £4000, I paid a £1000 deposit and the surveyor came round and I had an install date agreed etc.

A few weeks before the install date BAC phoned up and basically said that the salesman was too generous with the discount and that its going to cost me another £590 on top of what was in the contract.

I argued that if the contract says £4000 then the price is £4000 and any mistakes that they now realise are their problem and not mine, but basically there is a 'get out' clause in the contract that enables them to cancel at no cost (but not for me to do the same)

BAC wouldnt honor the orriginal price on the contract and I wasnt willing to pay the extra money so it was agreed that the contract be canceled and I get my deposit back.

...3 weeks after that conversation and im still waiting for my £1000 cheque (which they cashed nearly 3 months ago now!) despite many many phone calls!

I dont think that BAC are behaving reasonably but apart from keep phoning them I dont know what else I can do?

...is there any organisation that I can contact to complain to about this and get my money returned?

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

First off, contact your local trading standards. There's a directory of them here:

get-out clause may be forbidden by the Unfair Contract Terms Act. Have a look at this DTI factsheet:

sound pretty dodgy. As well as telephoning them, I'd start putting absolutely everything in writing from now on, and while the memory's fresh, make a note of the dates you were first in contact with them, when you agreed for them to do the work, and so on.

Best of luck.

(I am not a lawyer)

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Trading Standards, and

Colin Wilson

On the face of it, you have been conned into lending them a thousand pounds and whether they ever pay it back to you depends on their solvency. Yes, try trading standards and you could even try the police but unless there is a history of such complaints that suggest they are deliberately doing this to people, the police won't be interested.

I suggest you issue proceedings against them as quickly as possible using Money Claims Online. You can claim the return of your deposit plus the "loss of bargain" which you could put at 590 which is the extra you would have to pay to get the job done. State that it is damages for breach of contract. Don't delay any longer. In future always pay with a credit card no matter how keen they are to get you to pay by cheque or cash.

Reply to
The Todal