Structured Wiring Systems - new wiki article

ta.

I usually go for 568B, but I have come across some kit only marked in one flavour or the other. Hence its probably better not to specify and go with what matches what you have.

phones as well... Perhaps its more accurate to say that the pin 3 "bell wire" is not usually carried over the structured cabling, but is not always required either.

I did look at the possibility, and compared to an Avaya or other similar modern digital exchange it costs very little. However by the time you look at the cost of a 16 port card, a PC (which to be fair I could scrape together for nothing), and the power to run it, its quite expensive compared to an analogue 4/16 PABX direct from Hong Kong.

Reply to
John Rumm

May be best to omit it altogether then, the bit about cutting into 3 had me confused as you didn't say why into 3. I now realise it was because the ones you had just happened to be 3x too long. Plus you advised against DIYing patch leads and then did :-O

I saw that first time and didn't relate it because there's nothing to suggest the patch panel is like that, and the photo with the krones turned through 90 degrees doesn't match it. Your ascii diagram is better in the absence of a proper photo, possibly with a bit of text pointing to the RJ45Module.jpg as an indication of how a pcb can be used to connect them.

OK

mush mush heh-heh ;)

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Prolly why I did not put it in the article.

Having said that - RJ11 patches with 2 wires are very quick and easy - rj45 with 8 is far less so by the time you have got all the wires in the right order, and trimmed to the right length, and then all in the socket to the right depth at the same time etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

standards for POTS over CAT5. We found at least 3 incompatible LAUs at work -- it's basically each manuafcturer makes up their own scheme, and make sure you use same manufacturer's LAUs at both ends (which is a pain when you've ended up with 3 types sprinkled around the site). The important thing is that the A and B wired are on a pair, and assuming you don't want risk of interference/crosstalk, the bell wire isn't carried over the Cat 5 at all.

When I originally did my home structured cabling, I made a point of putting A and B wires onto one of the pairs not used by

10/100 ethernet, so I didn't blow up any ethernet ports by plugging in a POTS line by mistake. However, I'm not all gigabit ethernet (uses all 4 pairs) so I just have to be more careful.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No need.. Ethernet is a transformer coupled interface and there are isolating transformers at each end of each pair. They should be good to at least 1500V to meet the standard. It why you can't blow old stuff up if you plug it into POE port.

Reply to
dennis