Structural problems if I knock through my fireplace?

Hi everyone

I am thinking of restoring this fireplace to its original glory

this I mean knocking out the relatively new bricks under the stone lintel to open the fireplace to how it was, keep the plaster off the chimney breast and repoint the bricks with Lime mortar. Here's a better pic of the lintel.
first point is structural integrity. The lintel doesnt sit on as much old brickwork as I'd be happy with.

A 2 pence piece is there for scale. The amount of lintel on the bricks is 7.5cm The right hand side (facing the fireplace)

left hand side. The amount of lintel on the bricks is 8cm
finally there is an angled piece of stone that goes down and across the chimney breast. After pocking my head up the chimney, its obvious that this channels the smoke up the chimney to the right. Is this normal? I've never seen this before, and a bit concerned that the angled stone introduces a sideways force. Here is a piccy that shows the slanty stone
help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

James

Reply to
ihatetripe

room above? When you see a chimney stack on a roof with upwards of 4 chimney pots on top, consider that each of those is being fed by a different fireplace somewhere below - you can get a right rat's nest of flues connecting them.

Sweeping the chimney in my parents' house includes the chimney sweep having to enter the roof space to open an iron door in the side of a near-horizontal section of flue, to remove the soot.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks David.

Yep, 1 fireplace in the room above. I just need to work out whether my house will fall down if I knock out the new bricks!

James

Reply to
ihatetripe