structural ply for subfloor

my local builders merchant has quoted my =A327 / sheet + VAT for 18mm malayan "structural" ply. i can get 18mm chinese ply for =A314.95 / sheet + VAT on the internet. the builders merchant said chinese ply was "rubbish" and non structural ie not suitable for a subfloor. i'm a bit wary of the builders merchants flexible pricing policy since i got a quote on a load of timber which was almost double what my builder got quoted. i've since opened an account now and he assures me i'm getting the best price on the malayan ply...

i accept chinese ply will be of inferior quality but is it good enough to use as a subfloor over joists (at 400mm centres)? (will be nailing

15mm T&G bamboo onto the ply subfloor)
Reply to
mcmook

i accept chinese ply will be of inferior quality but is it good enough to use as a subfloor over joists (at 400mm centres)? (will be nailing

15mm T&G bamboo onto the ply subfloor)

So how much for carriage? on t internet

Reply to
George

nothing if you buy as much as i need (25 sheets)

Reply to
mcmook

My experience is that the Chinese will contain voids and may not be made with a good glue - some I got de-laminated even in a cool dry place - fortunately before I used it.

For a flooring application you should probably be using a WBP (Water & Boil Proof) board to meet Building Jokes^h^h^h^h^h Regs.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

We need a bit more to go on here. What is the ply going over (if joists are they spaced at 400 ot 600mm). It may be that you are asking your building merchant the wrong question. ie I'm not sure if you really mean 'structural'??? Also, write your merchant off since you are not comparing like with like... get a quote for chineese ply from them too.

It may also be that floor grade chipboard is what you need... though I dont like the stuff it has its place and this may well be it.

Good luck Calum Sabey

01556 690544
Reply to
calums

why not use flooring grade chipboard instead?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

chipboard doesn't hold nails so well? ply is recommended for nailing into laying a hardwood floor.

Reply to
mcmook

works well enough for most things.

Anyway, use glue!