Structural Engineer

Hi all. I've made an appointment for a SE to look my lintel requirements. When I talked with him on the phone he said - he will be providing a letter showing the ..forget the terms he used... weight specifications...something like that. Is that all I can expect from one of these guys?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Depends what you want him to do. You ask what you need, he tells you, you pay him. End of.

David

Reply to
Lobster

You need to decide whether you want him to just specify what needs to be done (spo you can take it to building control and to builders quoting to do the work) or whether you want him to also come back and check it has been properly done.

In my experiemce these guys are very flexible and helpful.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I'd expect a copy of the calculations and any working drawings a builder might need. That's what mine did - as instructed by the architect. And passed on to the council. If required.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

. He mentioned that he would send a letter to the council BC showing the work specification.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur 51

On 9 Feb, 18:38, "Arthur 51" wrote: .

If I were paying him I'd want the letter myself, for my own records.

I had an engineer write some specs, with calculations, for steel to support the dormers I had put in, and sent copies to Building Control myself.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Calcs is the usual term used - BC want to know what weight the proposed lintels are to carry, and therefore the specifications and dimensions etc of the lintel itself and the opening(s), also fireproofing often comes into the equation too if the lintels are steel.

Reply to
Phil L

If this is required for Building Regs approval .. you will need to supply the load calculations, or prove that it is well over spec.

Reply to
Rick Hughes