stripping painted asbestos

It seems that my soil pipe is asbestos. In the past someone has painted it, and now some of the paint is starting to peel off. The relatively loose stuff I can easily get off, but the stuff that is still keyed may be a harder job. So two questions, what is the safest way to remove the paint from the pipe, and what would be the best thing to paint it with (assuming that it is discoloured) ?

TIA

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Probably a better idea to paint over to stabilise whatever is already there assuming it isn't all loose

================================== Use 'Nitromors' paint stripper and allow it to work well into the paint so that you minimise the amount of scraping needed. Wash down with turps and avoid sanding. I think an oil based paint would be best - primer / undercoat / gloss but 'One-coat' might be suitable.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero