Stripping Paint on Artex

Hi All,

The paint on my bathroom's artex ceiling is peeling off, how do I safely and cleanly strip it back to sound paint before repainting? It's circa 1992 so I'm hoping it doesn't contain any asbestos...

Thanks

Reply to
Endulini

Pretty much impossible to do properly, I'd say. I'd suggest running over it with something like a stiff scrubbing brush, which should shift most of the worst stuff, then paint it and hope for the best

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yup. Once scrubbed, you could use some dilute glue to avoid more coming off for a while, but it will one day. Don't use the glue too strong, or you'll find repainting hard.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

It should be asbestos free at that age unless it was a vintage bag.

Reply to
<me9

I tried a wallpaper stripper, and found it was good for getting the actual artex off ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Can be; but depends greatly on how well the artex was stuck to the original ceiling, what type of artex it is, etc Very likely to end in tears!

Reply to
Lobster