Stripping a Cast Iron Fireplace

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here - so thanks for reading and apologies (for anything too newb-ish) in advance.

I've recently got a cast iron fireplace off eBay (see

and I need to strip off the old paint. The plan is to take it back to the original iron, and then but polish on it.

To remove the paint (which maybe years and years old) I assume that paint stripper will be rather difficut to use? and I've got rather limited outside space, so the fumes would be a pain. So I was thinking that shot blasting it would be the right way to go?

Has anyone used shot blasting to do this? and if so can they reconmend a good place to get it done? I live in central London these days, but have a car, and so could travel a bit.

Thanks!

Sincerly,

-Matt

Reply to
mahju

Good looking fireplace. I've had them caustic dipped before now but you end up with a darkish finish. If you want that silvery metallic look, I think it has to be blasted.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If thats the limited outside area? how much movement do want? I'd get a burner on it ie propane paint stripper, will make short work of that in no time.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thanks!

The caustic dip could be an option. What sort of store / workshop would do that for me?

Cheers

-matt

Stuart Noble wrote:

Reply to
mahju

Thanks =3D)

I only have a small balcony that's mine. I could maybe use downstairs garden breifly for this.

However I think that there's a chance that heating cast iron can cause cracks? and a propane torches are around =A360-ish, and this stripping is a one off (ihope)... although you can never have enough DIY toys.

Cheers,

-matt

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Reply to
mahju

Not really...

bottle of gas is 10GBP

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Have a look in thompson local or yellow pages for door stripping, I took a front door to one a few years back and he lobbed it into a vat of hot caustic soda...basically a huge oblong vessel, open on top, half full of caustic, with a small wood burning fire underneath, I suppose you could do it yourself if you had enough space and plenty of common sense.

Reply to
Phil L

Hi,

I've done five old fireplaces in situ in my house using Peelaway

3kg pack will be plenty for one. No need to use the neutraliser as you're not planning to slap more paint on.

This works very well. There are no fumes, as I say I've done it inside the house itself, although doing it outside will make the rinsing off process a bit easier. A coat of blacklead grate polish afterwards and they look fantastic. I can't understand why anyone wanted to paint them in the first place.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Reply to
mahju

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the pointer. The stuff seems good as long as i can get an outside area to do it in, and at ~=A315 its the most affordable =3D)

many thanks,

-matt

Mart> mahju wrote:

Reply to
mahju

I think blasting is the very best way to go at it. Then use the graphite stuff to blacken it

No idea where to get it done in london tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, cast iron will crack if heated to yellow hot.

Least thats when my firebacks cracked..

Take more than a blowlamp tho;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher