Stringer - Support

I am sort of busy sourcing the timber for the stringers for a planned staircase. (Straight 13 riser) And it seems I have been too concerned with the thickness as I was worried that ..if I buy something a 1/4" too thin I'm gonna end up with a dodgy staircase and liable to collapse. But after a little reading I realise that the forces exerted by staircase users will mainly fall on the ends of the stringer - top and bottom. And as reinforcement of my mistaken assumption I have believed that the integrity of the staircase relies on the wall side stringer being firmly fixed to the wall.

So. having seen some cheapo flatpack staircases which seem to be made with 38mm thick pine stringers...then...a 1.5" thick stringer of almost any timber is more than strong enough?

And having realised that there lots of timber staircases that don't have wall on both sides...that when it comes to removing the old staircase it is probable that the wall side stringer won't actually be fixed to the wall...at all?

Anyone nodding heads?...muffled laughter?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Sorry. Should read...

stringers...then...a 1.75" thick stringer of almost any timber is more than strong enough?

Reply to
Arthur 51

Much more important than thickness, is the depth of the stringer - this is what gives you rigidity - remember stiffness is proportional to the cube of the depth of a beam. Also important is your ability to make tight, square joints for every tread and riser. No harm in anchoring the stringers to masonry wherever possible - all helps with the stiffness.

Reply to
dom

yes. That was the question I forgot. My current stringer is 12" wide by 1.5" thick. Do you think What thickness of 10" wide x 1.5" thick oak be good enough? And to what depth should I rout for the treads and stringers?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Christ! Getting it wrong again>

..should read... Will 10" by 1.5" oak easily replace the 12" x 1.5" pine stringer?

And routing depth?

Reply to
Arthur 51