Strimmer - disappearing line end

I am finding that whenever my strimmer line breaks the end seems to have welded itself to itself in the inside of the roll in the drum and I end up using wire cutters to create a new end so that I can unwind it. Has anyone else had this problem and found a remedy?

Reply to
John

TBH, I know what you mean, and have had it happen many a time on small electric trimmer - along with the base (the bit that you bash to in theory eject more line) wearing through very quickly.

My current petrol-powered trimmer seems a lot better - heavier construction, and thicker line too - it'll chew through a lot more before it breaks, and when it does it seems to do so by fraying through an inch or so on the outside of the drum, rather than disappearing up its own backside.

Not exactly enough for a good statistical analysis, but I do suspect that the larger / more expensive kit is a bit better engineered.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I did many years ago on a Flymo.

My rememdy was to throw the f*cking thing in the bin before I did damage to anything else in angry frustration after spending at least three times as much time dismantling the f*cking thing than using it !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

We have a Bosch battery strimmer (mainly so that we can tidy up around my in-laws' grave, although we do use it at home rather than mess about running a cable out for the mains one) and rather than line, it has a clip on plastic blade that is much harder wearing. When it does eventually go, the blade can simply be pulled off and a replacement from the holder on the handle clipped on. At the rate we're going, the bag of blades that we bought for a fiver or so will outlast the strimmer itself - if not us!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Well in respect of the line welding to itself, no. I've got a variety of brush cutters on the farm. All of the ones using plastic line suffer from this problem, but it seems to be a problem with the line, rather than the strimmer. I used some square section line and that didn't have the problem.

TBH it's so bloody annoying that I tend to use the one "strimmer" that uses wire, rather than a plastic line, more often than the others.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ah just to report a similar experience. We bought a Bosch strimmer (first one ever) only a week ago. The line disappeared inside the spool after a few minutes use. Took it apart and it worked ok for another 5 mins then the same again. This time, it was impossible to find the end of the line and had to cut it somewhere to make a new end. Of course as soon as cut, the whole damn thing bongggged open. However, I put in one of those "heavy duty" clip ones (as Steve describes) and it's still going after some tough edging work. It came with 6 HD ones - I must see where they sell more :-)

Reply to
dave

Don't use Black & Decker line. Better makes of line don't do this, unless you really kink them.

Square line is great for wet grass.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Jules explained on 31/07/2009 :

My (new this year) petrol strimmer has caused me lots of bother due to the disappearing line problem. It is the twin line type and uses 2.4mm line. It really is tricky to pull apart to get the lines out and does cause endless frustration. Some one suggested tapping the auto-feed on the ground regularly, rather than waiting until the lines break. That help considerably, but I have to remember to actually do it.

It is a large (>3m long), quite heavy unit and getting to the head is a means a lot of faffing about, getting someone to steady it, to get the head off.

I'm actually looking for a spare head, so that I can simply swap the head if the line is lost inside.

I have not found this heavy duty unit any less prone to the problem than my small electric strimmer.

I keep intending to have a word with the professionals - the council employees I often see using these strimmers, to see if they have any tips.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Strange. I bought a strimmer for about £12 from Aldi, and I thought it probably had just about every possible design fault, but they seem to have managed to avoid this one!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had a crappy flymo electric. Did this all the time. Now I have a petrol one with a much better head. No sharp edges where the cord exits. I wind the spool myself with heavy duty nylon. Jus bump it a few times when its obviously a bit low on cut.

Never ever had the cord snap off completely, nor weld.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This happened repeatedly on a ~£20 Bosch. I returned it to Bosch for repair and they sent me a new one. I took the new one back to the shop and got a Flymo Power Trim 300.

Works well and no constant broken line problems. Touch wood, cross fingers etc...

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :

Mine has two metal sleeves (furrals) where the two lines exit. I don't think I have come across having the line weld, though it has jammed up inside due to knots. I think there must be some technique, which I have yet to find, to avoid the line breaking off inside the head.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've been strimming all afternoon..no breaks. Then the line ran out.=20 Guess what. Cast metal curved guides for the exit from the hub. No=20 stress risers!

That's what you pay for in a good one. Or use a needle file on the cheapo= =2E.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely a strimmer is only a handle and a motor spinning a hub of nylon cord. So I can't see how - brand name, 'quality' or design can (objectively) really have an effect.. I can believe the line properties (if so, what should I look out for (square section)). Am I to think that the ferrule is the cause of the problem - if so - any ideas on what aspect of the ferrule causes the problem? However, I suppose speed might be a factor.

However, I am encouraged that others have found the same problem. I am wondering if a spray of Mr Sheen onto the reel might prevent welding.

Reply to
John

The ferrules are very important stop snapping.

Welding is all about crap cord.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok, so everyone assumes more revs means more cutting power and a quicker cut. Almost correct. Flat out the head produces heat from friction with the grass and earth. This weakens the cord at the pivot point at the exit from the head. Given that all plastics have a melt/fusion point it's common sense to reduce the fatigue and heat problem or suffer the consequences.

My Ryobi strimmer head is an auto feed unit, rarely suffers from complete cord breakage and usually needs sorting out when it's actually run out of line.

Answer: I set the unit to run at a high tickover approx a third the max revs of the machine and take more time doing the job. Only use the flat out full on revs intermittently for heavy odd weed etc then reduce to your high tickover and carry on This produces just as accurate and effective cut, also allows better control and best of all you can carefully strim chain link fence that has weeds growing up it without fear of snatch or line loss.

If you don't believe me try it........it does work