strengthening bracket?

Hi- I'm looking for a brass fitting to span between a wall and a post to ensure the post stays rigidly in place. (Brass since it will fit in with the rest of the decor).

The span needs to be about 8" wide and ideally have a little vertical difference between the 2 attachment points (think like the shape of an arched buttress).

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might purchase such an item or sites that might be of interest?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

Jim pretended :

Could you not make one from some flat brass strip?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm not proficient enough yet, I would think... also have no metalworking tools.

I've drawn what I need to get here (it's a .gif image)

again, any suggestions or advice, please.

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

======================== You could get a plumber / pipe fitter to make it from two threaded pipe flanges with a short length of pipe to connect. It wouldn't be brass but you could paint it with a suitable 'Hammerite' colour.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

youd have to have that custom made. Think of going with wood instead.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

On second thought I know how you could make it, if youre wiling to make the angles steeper. Get the required pipe, 3/4", and bend it to shape. It will need to meet the left wall at 90 degs, and the right one at a much steeper angle. Now a standard rail end fixing can be used at the left end, and at the right, drill and dish a hole in the pipe and screw though it. That then leaves the job of mocking a fixing plate up to cover the real fixing. Probably could do this with a bit of mdf and a lathe (use a mains drill for the lathe, with angle grinder for cutting tool), cutting out the odd shaped centre hole and using filler after fitting.

Pipes: copper is the nearest colour, or maybe you could use chrome with coloured varnish.

Youll need pipe bender and angle grinder.

But, I wouldnt bother unless there was a very good reason!

NT

Reply to
bigcat

What a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself., and it would be a fun project.

Any advice as to what wood/what tools I'd need? I've got a jigsaw, so I should be able to cut an arch shape, but what would I use to round the edges with? I want it to look reasonably well done since it will be in a very prominent position.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Jim

instead.

I think a router would be the clear winner, but failing that one could simply sand it to get smooth results, with rather more work.

A square base plate could be sawn, a round one could be made on a drill, using it as a lathe, with an angle grinder as the cutting tool.

What tools have you got? Out of router, plane, sanders, lathe, etc? Do you want round section or square?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Hi and thanks for replying.

I want the bracket to arch across the span. I would also ideally like the cross section of the arch to be rectangular with rounded edges (I'm envisaging the cross-section of the arch being about 2" wide by 3" high).

Currently the only tools I have are a basic workbench, a jigsaw (I think I could use this to cut the arch shape), electric sander and a Makita 14.4v drill.

I don't mind buying extra tools since I plan to do more diy in the future. However, I'm not sure which tools you mentioned would be most useful for this job. Could you please suggest what would be most useful for me to buy?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for the help, NT. At the moment I've got a basic workbench, a jigsaw (should be able to use that to cut the 'arch' shapes in the wood and a Makita drill.

I don't mind buying a tool if it will be useful to have- I plan to do more diy in the future.

As for the arch cross-section, I was thinking of about 2" wide by about

3" high, with rounded corners. What would be the best tool do do that?

I guess another question I have is are there any particular woods to try to get/avoid?

Thanks for all advice.

Reply to
Jim

A drum sander attachment for the drill might be useful for smoothing and rounding if you don't fancy getting a router. A set of wood chisels (and a mallet) is pretty much essential.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks for the advice - however, I spoilt myself, and a lovely DeWalt DW621K router has just arrived earlier today... :) (seemed to have a lot of recommendations).

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm off to do my diy now....

Reply to
Jim