Strange smell from Ikea drawer unit

Bought and put together one of these a few days ago:

It is made of the usual Ikea laminated sheets.

A day later I noticed quite a strong smell in the room - something I would describe as a mixture of wet wood shavings and varnish...

Thought that it was because it was new, so have kept the window in the room open every day since (closed at night - it is a bedroom). The smell in the morning is pretty strong/bad and not getting any better.

There is/was no sign of any moisture inside when I opened the box - the cardboard box was also completely dry.

Any idea? I am sure Ikea will take it back, but I am actually planning on buying another unit... Shall I wait a few weeks for a new batch to arrive?

Reply to
JoeJoe

I had a pair of shoes like that. Never did find out why they smelt so bad

Reply to
stuart noble

It might do no good, but have you asked IKEA if they have any idea?

Reply to
Davey

Just back from Ikea - decided to take it back for a refund (smell upstairs was terrible this morning after having the windows closed overnight).

They didn't have a clue, and apparently, have never heard/seen/smelt anything like this. The guy did agree that the smell was pretty strong, and suggested that perhaps I should wait a few weeks before buying it again (I need two of them) to make sure they come from a new batch... :-)

Reply to
JoeJoe

cat peed in them?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like a good plan! But at least they were sympathetic.

Reply to
Davey

I do hope their manufacturing plant does not have a fox infestation.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, an excess of Richard Murdoch's US TV stations would be too much for anyone.

Reply to
Davey

Didn't think he had any....or newspapers come to that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, I meant Rupert, of course. His empire is vast, and he became an American citizen so that he could expand his holdings in the US.

Reply to
Davey