Strange sized bath tap

Is there a guide to the size of tap fittings? Specifically the size of the inner mechanism, including its screw thread, washer size etc?

I ask because my bath tap doesn't seem to be any standard size. The kits from the DIY sheds which "upgrade" existing taps don't fit - the adapter is too large, and the basic mechanism is too small.

The tap has a plastic head. The hole with the screw thread in the tap base into which the whole mechanism screws is about 27mm. The mechanism itself is virtually beyond use, since the flange which the top retaining circlip sits against has corroded away.

Any suggestions? I know a new tap would be the best bet, but that would mean dismantling a cupboard and bath side - best left for another year. So, anywhere I can find a replacement mechanism for this odd sized tap?

Cheers, David.

Reply to
davidrobinson

Council tip, if you are lucky..

My heart bleeds, but seriously, this is the time to redo the WHOLE bathroom :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Take the old knackered bit to a PROPER Plumbers Mercahnts. Explain the dilema, have a brew [usually free] from the vending machine which is installed in most merchants. If the bits are available they will be much cheaper than a 'shed'. Promise to return and spend more money with them!

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

That was my plan, but isn't there a simple list or guide to tap sizes?! I like to know something about what I'm doing before I set foot in somewhere.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
davidrobinson