Strange problem with power steering/suspension

I'll be fixing this myself so it seems to fall within the "DIY" tag. Any suggestions from the group?

For quite a while the steering "feel" of my V reg Renault Espace has varied. For weeks it'll be fine and then one day when I go round a bend (at low speed) it'll feel as if there's oversteer - sometimes I've stopped and checked the tyres because it felt like one was flat. Shortly afterwards it'll be back to normal. This has been going on for a couple of years. Recently it's become worse and feels "odd" most of the time - the actual handling is fine, it just "feels" strange.

On cold days the steering feels a bit heavy, there's a slight weep from the front of the PAS pump but I've never needed to top-up the PAS reservoir.

Has anyone come across anything similar?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

could be the belt is slipping, does it sqeal at all at full lock?

Reply to
Staffbull

Thanks for the suggestion but no, the belt is tight and there's no squeal.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Could be many things, some serious, some not.

Its time to get it up on a ramp and check to see whether anything is bent or has play in it. Don't assume the power assistance itself is the problem.

Play anywhere in the system will give anything from imprecise steering, to sudden changes in apparent steering action, especially if coupled with a stiff or partly siezed joint..

Chipped tooth on te racxk? Another sudden change of direction..its endless.

A GOOD mechanic will be able to sort it. A bad one will charge you a lot and do nothing, or change something in there for something he charged teh last customer to replace, and kept back just in case he got a chance to sell it on to someone else again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used to have a Laguna - I was told by at least 4 different mechanics that "it's a feature of Renaults" - the steering just gets worse over the years. I think I remember one of the mechanics telling me there was nothing I could do about it, and I think one of them quoted me a couple of grand to change the rack out. (Don't ask me for the solution to the problem - I sold the car last spring!!) ________________________________ The Grim Reaper

Reply to
The Grim Reaper