Strange phone wiring

Do you mean a BT431A module rather than RJ45? If not you'll need to use an adapter for the phones

don't think running a separate cable will have much overall effect on the speed, check speed with just the ADSL extension you need, and with other extensions patched in.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry my fault - I meant BT431A socket for the phone, not RJ45.

Will do, thnaks.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Yes, a BT module and an RJ11 module in two module faceplace, or module module with an RJ45 or two if you're slinging ethernet around at the same time.

Should work, I've only ever used the one that Clarity sell, on the basis that it is made by Pressac, and is the same (barring the extra pins on the IDC connector) as the official BT one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

ADSL

This is where putting the ADSL modem where the single filter is located then running Cat5 from it to your computer/LAN switch is a good idea. B-)

But if your ADSL modem is also your WiFi access point it might mean that the Wifi is now suboptimal. Having the ADSL modem and Wifi in the same box is not a good idea, the best place for one half is almost certainly not the best place for the other.

You need somthing with a BT socket and RJ11 with seperate wiring for each but no other bits. I'd use one pair for the phone line (probably blue and use blue for all the other extensions) and the orange for the ADSL. If the phone doesn't ring when fed with only a pair I'd either:

Put up with it not ringing but rely on hearing other phones ring. Use a different phone that did ring. Add a C recovered from an old master socket.

How long is a peice of string. This is where the black magic really kicks in. I bought an ADSL faceplate to replace the "soap on rope" BT MF50 filter to tidy things up. I selected the face plate based on good reviews etc. It *did* give better sync rates than the MF50 during the day but at night it was worse and the sync rate would fall back and overall my data rate would end up lower... There are many interacting variables with squeezing the last few kbps out of ADSL, there is no single fix just a collection of actions and things that generally make it better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I agree and perhaps would address that one day... I currently use a modem router and am happy with the wifi signal around the house.

Agreed.

Will do. I'll buy two separate modules - phone and RJ11 and a double face plate.

If the phone doesn't ring when fed with only a pair I'd

No problem with ringing - already disconnected pins 3 and 4.

Reply to
JoeJoe

As suggested, I now replaced my master socket with a standard BT socket, using clarity's replacement master socket with built-in filter.

I connected all the phone extensions to the faceplate, and they all work fine.

Using the spare pair I connected pins A and B on the modified faceplate to pins 2 and 5 of an RJ11 socket (A to 2 and B to 5). However, when plugging in my modem it does not recognise the connection (i.e. lights on the modem panel suggest that the ADSL line is not connected).

- I checked for wire continuity - fine.

- Plugged modem/router to the ADSL socket on the modified faceplate - no problem.

Am I missing a trick?

Reply to
JoeJoe

On 19/01/2012 23:02, Andy Burns wrote: > JoeJoe wrote: >

As suggested, I now replaced my master socket with a standard BT socket, using clarity's replacement master socket with built-in filter.

I connected all the phone extensions to the faceplate, and they all work fine.

Using the spare pair I connected pins A and B on the modified faceplate to pins 2 and 5 of an RJ11 socket (A to 2 and B to 5). However, when plugging in my modem it does not recognise the connection (i.e. lights on the modem panel suggest that the ADSL line is not connected).

- I checked for wire continuity - fine.

- Plugged modem/router to the ADSL socket on the modified faceplate - no problem.

Am I missing a trick?

Reply to
JoeJoe

It's down to the numbering of the pins, try 3/4 on the RJ11 instead of 2/5

Reply to
Andy Burns

"But you knew that already, didn't you ..."

:-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Missed it!

All now working - many thanks.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Disappointing bit though is that there is no improvement to my ADSL speed whatsoever...

Reply to
JoeJoe

yeah. The world is divide into those who got instant and massive speed increases on redoing their faceplates, and those who got no significant change at all.

The former sell faceplates, the latter buy them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now you are telling me that...

Reply to
JoeJoe

I've fitted around a dozen of them for friends and family (usually to tidy the appearance, or allow siting routers in sensible places, or cure intermittent connections, rather than with speed as the main objective) and I can't think of one where the speed didn't increase ... sometimes significantly, but there's certainly some truth that often the extra speed comes from undoing the rubbish wiring rather than fitting the faceplate itself ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes - you need to use the middle two pins on the RJ11 socket - not 2 and 5.

Reply to
Roger Mills

What they do is isolate all your extension wiring from the ADSL signal. If the extension wiring is crap, you'll get a speed increase by isolating it. If it's good - or if there isn't any - you won't. Simple as that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Usual shit from TNP.

I got an infinite increase by fitting a filtering master socket; my ADSL started to work.

Reply to
Huge

Ignore him. He is, as usual, talking sanctimonious twaddle.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

golly. humour valves frozen solid today.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , JoeJoe writes

Does disconnecting the extensions make any difference?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson