Strange drain tank?

Possibly the worst photo ever

shows a concrete structure with a square drain cover in the top but doesn't show on any mains drainage plans for nearby houses or for a utility search for the land.

One of the men who uncovered it said it reminded him in size and shape of a drain cover. Too cold and horrid to go and take more photos today - but will get a proper look soon.

Any ideas?

Is it just the end of the drains system that goes the nearby houses? No houses have ever been on the land from what we can see on old maps.

Reply to
mogga

Something like a main gas or oil pipeline might not show on a conventional utility search.

Or a farmer's field drain.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So if it's that, what's likely to be inside? Or will it have collasped with age/disuse?

Reply to
mogga

It won't have collapsed or the utility company would have come out and repaired it. I agree, it's highly likely to be gas, or at a push, water. It'll be an inspection chamber for said pipeline

Reply to
Phil L

No its not a field drain.

Looks like an old septic tank maybe..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depending on location in the country, it could be a capped off mine shaft...

Reply to
John Rumm

What's the other side of the fence? It looks a bit industrial.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Read this before even thinking about going inside:

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Is this Buncefield by any chance?

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

It looks very similar to two which are in the field at the back of my house. 'Mine' are access chambers to a sewer which runs under the field. [I can see them - and the line of the sewer - on Google Earth. maybe you can do the same?

By being built up, they appear to fulfil two purposes:

  1. They keep heavy agricultural equipment away from the chambers
  2. They increase the level to which the contents of the (frequently blocked) sewer can rise before it overflows
Reply to
Roger Mills

Someone reckons there's a drain across the field ... Will update when we go on field or find out more.

(We will have to know what it is I think before we sign a lease for the land!) :)

Reply to
mogga