strange door knob assembly

Not got a camera to hand unfortunately, but while in the process of decorating, we removed what I think was an original "feature" of the house, built in about 1989.

Instead of a regular door knob, as found on cupboards up and down the land, this one has a large cutout from the door, approx 2.5" diameter, and instead of the common square "dowel" between the handles, this is a pressed steel crescent shape of about 3/4" breadth which slotted into a similarly designed latch.

It's pretty much blown the idea of simply replacing it with a similar knob we chose for every other cupboard (which didn't have these "odd" handles on them), but does anyone know if they have a name / or are still available to see if we can get a close match to the other cupboards ?

(the hole in the door is probably too substantial to fill neatly, so a "similar" handle set might be a better bet)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

You can fill almost any hole in a door using a resin filler (car body filler being one example).

Nail a piece of cling film wrapped wood either side while you fill it if it makes it easier.

Reply to
dennis

Are we talking kitchen cupboards or built in cupboards with full 'door' sized doors?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Full door sized door :-}

If I could get a replacement knob set, it'd be easier than changing the door...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Cupboard doors don't usually have handles inside?

Sounds rather like a bathroom door handle where you turn a button on the inside one to lock. They have a large hole through the door. B&Q etc sell them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This one does - whether it was a "safety" feature to stop kids being trapped inside, I don't know...

I'll have a look, see if they resemble the thing i've got at all - thanks for the heads up :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Other places have similar ones with a different design of knob that might match what you have better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Any brand make, on the face of the latch for instance?

Reply to
Scabbydug

I've come across these a few times. The large hole enables the bolts holding the escution thingys to go thouugh, apparently it makes fitting the lock easier. I think I've seen similar in a large B&Q.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Good point - nothing on the handles, but N.T.Locks on the door latch itself...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

They're common here in the US (if I'm understanding the description right)

- normally less than $10 (whatever that is in quid these days; not much anyway) for an interior ally handle / latch set that'll lock on one side (i.e. suitable for a bathroom).

I'm not sure how much luck you'll have in getting one of the US DIY sheds to ship overseas, but maybe one of 'em will do it if it comes to it...

Reply to
Jules

OK, getting somewhere, but I think it's a dead-end...

Newman Tonks rebranded to NT Locks, but bought into several foreign companies, such as Falcon Locks (US) and TESSA (Spain)

They were taken over by Ingersol Rand back in about 1997, but their current catalogue doesn't show anything similar from what I can tell...

Reply to
Colin Wilson