Strange CH problem, downstairs rads only get hot with hot water off

Strange CH issue, when the hot water is off at the control panel, the rads are all working fine and are hot, if the hot water also comes on at the control panel the downstairs rads become cold. I have bled all rads flushed the system, balanced the system and turned up the pump to setting 3....any ideas much appreciated..Thanks

Reply to
russ.elliott

Is it a new problem or has it always been like this? If the latter I'd suspect balancing, and that the hot water is taking flow from the system enough to starve the upstairs rads but not the downstairs ones. There may be a balancing valve - probably a wheel-head gate valve with - in line with the HW cylinder which you can adjust to balance.

If it's a new problem I'd check the cylinder thermostat which may be failing to switch off and stop water going round the HW circuit when the programmer is calling for HW.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Reply to
gasman pete

Thanks chaps, John can you elaborate on your last paragraph? I don't quite understand as CH is a new area for me....Cheers

Reply to
russ.elliott

Systems are often set up so that when water is going round the cylinder the rads don't necessarily heat up very well since the cylinder is taing most of the flow, but it doesn't matter since by the time you notice it the cylinder has heated up and the flow to the cylinder has cut off again. If the cylinder stat is stuck on then water will always be going round the cylinder so circulation to the rads continues to suffer and you do notice it. That's why I asked if it's a new problem.

If you turn the cylinder stat control down does the pipe taking water into the cylinder coil from the CH system (via 2- or 3-port valve) cool down after a while (maybe 1/2 hour)?

Reply to
John Stumbles