strainer/filter for handbasin waste

Once I had a little plastic filter which consisted of concentric rings for preventing hair getting into the waste pipe. It sat in the waste, could be lifted out with the aid of a little pip which didn't prevent the insertion of a bung/plug, and did a great job without resticting the water flow very much.
I've spent half an hour plugging various keywords into google and haven't had a single bite.
Does anyone know a source of this little gadget or, at least, a keyword which will yield a productive search?
For personal reflections on aspects of UK contemporary life see:
"Views from the Hills" at http://www.users.waitrose.com/~opoman /
or at http://www.opoman.freeserve.co.uk/index.html
or at http://btinternet.com/~opoman

Make one from a piece of a plastic tea sieve. Cut the mesh off a tea strainer and place it over the waste grate. Push the plug down on top of it until it takes the shape of the hole. Once it's in the hole to the shape you need, pour some boiling water from kettle or pot on it. It will soften quickly, so don't pour the water to long. Then cool it back down again with some cold water. The boiling water will set the shape and you'll never, I hope, ever wash your face with boiling water, so it keeps its shape for ages. I've seen cheap tea strainer in the local supermarket for silly prices like fifty pence to a pound, so for that price, I think it's worth it.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com