Straightening bar and batten doors ?

My house renovation is, after all these years, at the point where I can tackle the 'desirables' rather than the 'necessaries'.

One of these is the nice old bar and batten pine doors that are significantly twisted - the worst is 6cms from top to bottom. It dawned on me today that none of these doors (there are 3 that really need doing) have any diagonal cross bracing and I fell to wondering if I made a frame to force them flat and then put in the braces nailed to each board whether that would retain the flatness ?

I knowI could rebuild them but I don't think they will take kindly to be taken to pieces and re-built.

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

do you mean ledge and braced t&G door

-- micky104

Reply to
micky104

Yes - I've always called them bar and batten, possibly that's the Scot's term. I've checked with my DIY Manual and if you change 'batten' for 'ledged' then I think we're talking about the same thing.

The book I have shows a framed ledged braced and battened door and one without a frame. What I've got is T & G boarding which is held together with 3 'ledges' and no braces. The ledges are some 6" from the top and bottom and one in the nominal middle. As cheap as they come perhaps a 100 years ago but now have a lovely soft set honey colour and are part of the character of the cottage, but it would be nice if they were straight, hence the question.

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

lie the door on the floor and put something heavy on all 4 corners e. concrete blocks leave for a couple of days then check to see if th twist is out hope this help

-- micky104

Reply to
micky104