Stove - wood or pellet?

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Rare to see seed on an Elm. Most regrowth is from surviving roots hence their genetic vulnerability.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Did you? How interesting. You were wrong, again, so alli s well with the world.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And it's now been found in Carmarthenshire:-

suspect that it's come in on imported nursery stock.

Reply to
John Williamson

Though from the same page: "Local spread may be via wind, rain splash or even transmission by insects."

But there's no definite link to specific insects the way there was with elm bark beetles.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Steve Firth

There's been no evidence of insect vectors from the reports from Denmark, I suspect that any transmission by insects is about the same as transmission by mammals including biped;. accidental contact with spores later rubbed off against trees.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed.

90% of all birch trees die from birch fungus attack in the end. Or at least infected with it.

bit of damage and its in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher posted

I too am planning to install woodburners, in a couple of disused fireplaces I'm going to bring back into use. I'll probably need to fit stainless steel flues. Do all flues & burners have a standard gauge or do I have to worry about matching them up? I'll probably be going for quite small burners, about 3-4kW at most. Recommendations welcome.

[Sorry I posted this to a new thread too before seeing this one.]
Reply to
Big Les Wade

Not in Brighton or Edinburgh.

AJH

Reply to
news

In message , snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk writes

They tend not to get old enough here or don't like the cold.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Both need 150mm flues venting above the eaves so no difference from that point of view.

AJH

Reply to
news

Well I suspect the elms you remember were the clone Ulmus Procera, which didn't set viable seed in this country, and where it did I suspect it's progeny would be classified differently.

The reason it doesn't grow large (rather than old) is probably to do with the young trees inability to host beetle breeding galleries in the phloem.

My wife has grown seed gathered from a roadside in Brighton and I cannot distinguish one tree from english elm now it has grown to 5 metres tall.

I have recently assisted in felling a large healthy wych or smooth leaved elm at Brighton football ground and even though it was a resistant species I could plainly see the typical tylose (blackened bodies that block the vessels in reaction to the DED) in several earlier annual rings, suggesting it had overcome infection. It was english elm's tylose production in reaction to the fungus and its dependence on the vessels in the current annual ring that caused it to kill its own crown but the rootstock could live on.

AJH

Reply to
news

In message , snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk writes

Yes. They are still here. The surviving roots send up fresh shoots which grow for about 15 years and then die.

Did they ever find a truly resistant variant?

The only Wych here is in hedgerows and subject to annual flailing.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

All the more reason to plash the hedge every 12 years ;-)

I don't think so, leastways not one that looked like english elm

AJH

Reply to
news